Main Bearing Failure with 6.2L at 3,200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocDoug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GM LS engines of the early 2000's had close the same HP and never failed, what the hell did GM do, forget how to build engines?
Did they require premium fuel in those days? I bet people running 87 octane in the newer 6.2 is not helping matters. This is why I chose the 5.3 for my Tahoe and haven’t looked back.

Srittle001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add me to to the list with people with 6.2 engine problems. Driving down the highway with 47,000 miles on my 2022 Yukon Denali and the car automatically shifts in the neutral and essentially shuts off and says not safe to shift.

I had it towed to the dealer, but only after three hours on the side of the highway because the first tow truck came and told me they couldn’t tow me because the car was not able to shift into neutral. Because of this you need a wheel lift and dolly tow truck, which was not as readily available.

Dealer was able to give me a loaner car, but I am still waiting to hear what the problem is. Should know soon what the issue is but dealer suspects it’s a spun bearing, which would require a brand new engine. They have told me that the engines have recently been available and takes 2 to 3 days to install.

Hoping to get my car back soon and hoping to be able to get extended warranty for free.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to to the list with people with 6.2L engine problems.
Driving down the highway with 47,000 miles on my 2022 Yukon Denali,
and the car automatically shifts into neutral and essentially shuts off and says not safe to shift.
How is a transmission problem, an engine problem?

Antonm

Reaction score
How is a transmission problem, an engine problem?

When the computer sees vehicle speed but no engine speed it shifts the transmission to neutral, its kinda a safety feature, (like how the transmission won't go into park at speed type thing). So if the engine seized from a main bearing failure while driving at highway speeds, the transmission going to neutral is something that would happen.

What I don't get is of the people that have had this happen, all have said they didn't hear or feel anything abnormal first. Like is everyone rocking out with the radio at full blast or is an engine seizure a more quiet event now than is used to be?

Srittle001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the computer sees vehicle speed but no engine speed it shifts the transmission to neutral, its kinda a safety feature, (like how the transmission won't go into park at speed type thing). So if the engine seized from a main bearing failure while driving at highway speeds, the transmission going to neutral is something that would happen.

What I don't get is of the people that have had this happen, all have said they didn't hear or feel anything abnormal first. Like is everyone rocking out with the radio at full blast or is an engine seizure a more quiet event now than is used to be?
Oh mine started rattling and making a very loud noise and I instantly knew it wasn’t normal. I immediately pulled off the road and googled the nearest dealership and saw it was 6 miles away. Immediately headed to the dealer and 1 mile before the exit my car went into neutral and unfortunately ended up 1/2 mile short of the dealer on the side of the highway.

So went from no noise to instant problem and didn’t make it 6 miles before the car shutdown.

Dealer confirmed spun bearing rod and waiting on GMC to authorize how they want to fix this issue.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New update, they replaced the starter and fuse box. Picked it up late Friday 5/10, over the weekend it lost throttle for a split second or 2 several times, stalled a few times and than the engine light came on(BTW, I put 110 miles on it). Took it back Mon. 5/13 they checked it out and said it was losing the reading on the reluctor for the cam. Gm advised them to do a further tear down, there they found that the cam was moving so much that the reluctor on the cam gear was hitting the timing cover. They are now waiting for GM to tell them how to move forward. They currently have 5 trucks that need new motors and 2 other trucks that have had new motors fail. GM WHAT A F**KING SH*T SHOW.
That engine is done.

Srittle001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh mine started rattling and making a very loud noise and I instantly knew it wasn’t normal. I immediately pulled off the road and googled the nearest dealership and saw it was 6 miles away. Immediately headed to the dealer and 1 mile before the exit my car went into neutral and unfortunately ended up 1/2 mile short of the dealer on the side of the highway.

So went from no noise to instant problem and didn’t make it 6 miles before the car shutdown.

Dealer confirmed spun bearing rod and waiting on GMC to authorize how they want to fix this issue.
Update: Dealer notified me that they will be installing a new engine. Engine should arrive in 2 days and 2-3 day install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith

Latest posts