Major trouble with plug and wire replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a set of new plugs. My fuel mileage has been slowly slipping away so I figured I'd give replacing them a shot. I got a set of NGK V-Powers and gapped at .040. The plugs I removed looked to be the original, NGK AC Delco G-Power's I believe? Most of them had a gap in the .060-.067 range. While some of them were just a pita to get to, replacement went fine other than a few of the wires that were seized onto the plugs broke. That was no biggie since I was going to replace them too if they were oe too.

The bad: The only part store in town that had any in stock was Autozone, which I hate to buy anything from. I had to choose between Duralast set for about $30 and Bosch for $53, so I went with Bosch. Once I got done I noticed immediately that I had a misfire. I went back and checked all my connections and everything seemed in place. So I took it to Advance to see what the CEL code was...Multiple Random Misfire. These wires are JUNK!!! I went to my wifes uncle's body shop and we found a horrible connection on the driver side wire back cylinder. We replaced that wire with a good oe that he had and it helped a little. Needless to say, there are still more that are misfiring.

The good: I have a friend who runs a machine shop and he is a dealer for MSD and he is ordering me a set this morning and will be in tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have better luck with these.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I didn't have much luck in my search for a possible explaination.

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats terrible. I hate autozone as well. It's really hard to mess up brand new plug wires.

Dynamo

Reaction score
Interesting, I would've thought that Bosch wires would be good to go. When I replaced my plugs & wires I just got ACDelco wires and they were good.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not autozones fault. i work in the automotive aftermarket. their parts a decent. anything bosch, i can say with all confidence, is garbage.

OP
OP
R

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
its not autozones fault. i work in the automotive aftermarket. their parts a decent. anything bosch, i can say with all confidence, is garbage.

our autozone's service around here is terrible. its not necessarilly the stuff they sale thats bad its the people that work there. there's 3 of them here and i don't care for any of them. most of them here aren't very friendly or as knowledgeable as they think they are

Got a set of MSD 23832 wires on the way for $65 through a friend's machine shop!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my plugs and wires a few weeks ago. I went with the AC Delco Iridiums which I odered online from Advance auto parts since I had a 20% off coupon code for all online orders over 49 bucks. So I go to pick them up and they have them all bagged up waiting on me. I check the bag as I'm leaving and they only have 6 plugs in there. I run back in the store and tell them and they act like I'm lying. I told them I paid for 8 and I wasn't leaving with 6. Turns out they only had 6 in the store. But did I get any apology from them, NOPE. They had me drive across town to pick up the other 2 from a different store. I then went and got some new plug wires from NAPA a few days later when I got ready to install them. NAPA has the best customer service and the old guys there usually know their shit. I wish they sold more than just NAPA house brand parts though and I'd buy more stuff there. I hate dealing with the dumbasses at Advance, but they carry a lot of good parts there. I bought some Wagner brake pads from Advance not too long ago too. As for Autozone, it seems they have dumbass that work there as well plus all the parts they sell are junk too. I've bough lots of parts from Autozone in the past when working on previous vehicles (like my first car) and I thought because everything had a liftime warranty on it that meant it was great parts. Boy was I wrong! On my first car I replaced the alternator, starter, and brakes pads and rotors all with autozone lifetime parts. In the 5 years I owned that car, I had to get the alternator swapped out again, and the brake pads swapped out 5 times. Yes once a year! They replaced the rotors the first time but each time after that I had to buy new rotors since they only had a 1yr warranty on the rotors. True, they will replace it under warranty but I hate the hassle of tearing it apart every time they wear out. From now on I pay better money for better parts. I also do research on the internet first to see who has had good or bad luck with certain parts brands. I've heard plenty of good things about the AC Delco plugs and the Wagner brake pads, so I hope I have good results with those.

Sorry for the long rant, LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968