Morning warmup and exhaust fume smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had my Hoe a few months, really loving it and the forum is a great way for me to find out the little things that bug me to see if it's a common issue or something to fix.

I've started hitting the remote start in the morning to get the seats warmed up for my lil girl before taking her to school. I've noticed that when I get in afterwards I can smell exhaust fumes in side the truck. I've had other rides with remote start and never noticed that before. The hoe is bone stock except I have a GM cold air kit on it. Stock muffler, still has the resonator too. I checked the seals around the doors and everything looks to be intact.

Any ideas how to tell where the fumes are coming in from? Has anybody else ever had this? I never notice it while driving, or even sitting in traffic or a drivethru. Just when it's sitting for 5-10 min running in my driveway for warmup.

Thanks for looking and hopefully helping me figure this one out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out in the open, my driveway. It's weird, I thought about doing a resonator delete and running the exhaust out the rear but that's really not fixing a problem, just working around it. I also wondered if the cold air kit is letting some engine fumes circulate back into the cab? During autostart as near as I can tell only the seat warmers are coming on. Maybe I will just manually start the truck tomorrow morning and let it run with the keys in and everything on to see if the fumes are still getting in.

Last edited:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i can think of is the vent is set for outside air and is bringing in some fumes. Just a guess....

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which vent is that? Is that something that can be programmed on the remote startup function? That makes sense.

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's talking about the ac flow button. Recirculate vs outside air. Makes sense. my Yukon and Sierra both switch to outside air even when they were on recirculate when I shut it off

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the remote start be programmed to do recirc on warmup? It already turns on the seat warmers, which is great :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1