Most miles with stock AFM system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidkp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 z71 Tahoe failed at 197,000 miles. Did not know about the AFM.
Bought a 2019 with <50,000 and driving in L5 while deciding what's next. Did get the CPO warranty with purchase.
Recommendations?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2019 with <50,000 and driving in L5 while deciding what's next. Did get the CPO warranty with purchase.
Recommendations?
A custom tune or a RANGE Device is my vote. I like the whole AFM delete, but the cost can be prohibitive depending on condition of vehicle and how long you plan to own it.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Son's 2015, my friends 2014 & my 2018 Yukon Denalis all had AFM lifter failures this year. All with 5K or sooner oil changes & we all have lead in our right foot. Thinking those AFM lifters don't like rpms.

I tuned out my AFM at 58K & failed at 88K. My avg mpg last 30K miles before failure was 20.3 vs 20.1mpg with AFM activated

Post AFM delete cam/lifter swap I reset trip B 1,300 miles ago and I'm at 21.3mpg on winter fuel, many frozen windshield remote starts & running idle while shopping.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Son's 2015, my friends 2014 & my 2018 Yukon Denalis all had AFM lifter failures this year. All with 5K or sooner oil changes & we all have lead in our right foot. Thinking those AFM lifters don't like rpms.

I tuned out my AFM at 58K & failed at 88K. My avg mpg last 30K miles before failure was 20.3 vs 20.1mpg with AFM activated

Post AFM delete cam/lifter swap I reset trip B 1,300 miles ago and I'm at 21.3mpg on winter fuel, many frozen windshield remote starts & running idle while shopping.
I would agree that the swap is the way to go. I've used a range Device for 100k and it has been fine. However, it alters certain parameters to achieve this and I'd be interested to know what those are and what it does to mpg. You obviously gained with the delete which is cool.

CaptainMurray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Tahoe 261K all stock no issues, mostly driven on interstate. Now I have a 2020 51k Yukon all stock no issues.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2019 with <50,000 and driving in L5 while deciding what's next.
Did get the CPO warranty with purchase.
Recommendations?
Disable the cylinder deactivation feature, either by using a plugin, or having your ecm tuned.
(ECM tune is a far better value, especially if it includes a tcm tune, because many other things get improved as well - but simply disabling cylinder deactivation is cheaper than a full tune.)

Merely disabling / deactivating the feature not only prevents the two-mode lifters from exacerbating their inherent weakness, but also lengthens the life of the torque converter clutch as well.

Physically deleting the feature from the engine is far more costly, and may not be worth it to you unless you really want to keep it for your forseeable future.

Andy Arnold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Somebody understood the assignment. 257k is impressive. What’s your driving style like?
Light and easy. No towing. Lots of highway miles. I like to coast into known stops as long as I’m not impeding others. So I’m probably in 4 cyl mode more than the average driver. Not sure if that would have a positive or negative impact on the longevity of the lifters.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light and easy. No towing. Lots of highway miles. I like to coast into known stops as long as I’m not impeding others. So I’m probably in 4 cyl mode more than the average driver. Not sure if that would have a positive or negative impact on the longevity of the lifters.
Your driving style is what I feel is what helps these AFM lifters survive. I am a minimalist braker, go faster down hill & slower up thus pure hwy I see around 27mpg on my 52 round-trip commute to work in my cammed AFM deleted 2018 Yukon Denali.

My AFM lifter failure was during a under 5sec 0-60mph sprint.

IEATZ28

Reaction score
2011 Suburban 156k unmodified. The engine bay is noisy, but we haven’t had any major issues. We run conventional oil changed every 5k. The oil pressure is a little on the low side for my taste, but oh well. My 06 Tahoe runs a lot quieter and with better oil pressure. I would probably trust it more than the Suburban, even though the miles are about the same, just because one has DOD and one doesn’t. You will find a ton of opinions on here. I think it’s all going to be on what your risk tolerance is. If I had to guess there are thousands of people driving these rigs 200k+without even knowing what AFM/DOD is. I only say that because of how many 07-14’s I still see on the road everyday. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mckcapps