Mounting a Roof Basket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kebm

Reaction score
I have a Yakima megawarrior basket with 18" extension for our Yukon. I had it mounted to the factory cross bars using the Yakima clamps, but the cross bars flexed too much with bikes mounted to the rack. I replaced the oem crosss bars with unistrut channel from Lowe's. I use unistrut u-bolts to attach the channel to the factory rails, and u-bolts with nylock nuts to fasten the megawarrior to the unistrut.
Sorry, I cannot get any pics, the rack is not on the Yukon right now. I have to remove the rack to store the truck in my garage for winter. The unistrut works well for me. I placed 2 or 3 unistrut washers in the u-bolts between the factory rails and the unistrut cross bars for clearance due to the arch of the roof. The unistrut channel is zinc coated, I scuffed and painted mine with black truck bed coating. Just google unistrut roof rack for ideas, lots of other people using it.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really hoping I can get some help with this question. I have recently become the proud owner of a 2005 Z-71 suburban and since I own this vehicle outright I will be getting rid of my 2012 FJ Cruiser (mostly because there is no way I am going to lug around kids in a 2 door vehicle).

My FJ had a sweet low profile Baja Rack http://www.bajarack.com/fj-low-profile - It has a full mesh floor and is 48 wide by 82 long so it should fit my suburban well.
Now the trick is how do I mount it? I have come up with some possible options:

1) Have a welder make me custom mount bracket – How much do you think this will cost?
2) Modify the SmittyBuilt defender mounts for the Z-71 rack http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=5
3) Try to secure it to the current Crossbars? – Probably the worst option

What do you guys think? How would you get this done on your truck?
Rack Weighs 65 pounds

So Im back again after a successful endeavor. I used the ubolt method, (round ones b/c I couldn't get square ones in the right width. Turns out it didn't matter and the rack is unbelievably sturdy. Check it out and shoot me any questions in this thread

OP
OP
A

atothez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool - thanks. I would actually like to know a few things (would ove to have this thing still fit in the garage with my 3 inch lift

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool - thanks. I would actually like to know a few things (would ove to have this thing still fit in the garage with my 3 inch lift
Yeah, mine doesn't fit in the garage anymore, but that's because I have a tiny little crappy duplex garage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbow555