MPG Imorovement with Lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gM lowers the Hybrids a bit so they seem to think so, but what is the anecdotal evidence out in the real world for you guys?
Most of what I have read people have said they saw no improvement.
But it always seems that lowering is done with wider rubber, which increase friction and aero drag.
It would seem logical to me that gas mileage would go up with a standard 2/3 drop. What do you guys say?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not going to notice anything. Not only does GM lower the hybrids, but the aerodynamics are completely different. From front bumper, to grill, to the entire rear clip. And will all that, they might get 1-2mpg better. You'd be better off putting a block under your gas pedal so you can't mash the gash

OP
OP
B

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know all the changes to the hyhoe, but I was hoping lowering the frontal area wiould help some. The tahoe is actually very aerodynamic, it's the size that is the problem.
Plus I want the 3.42 rearend which will hurt hwy mpg some.
For comparison, I have taken long trips in my wife's 04 tahoe and by keeping speeds below 68mph, not using cruise control and losing speed on hills I have pulled a 21.0 mpg. That's with 3.42s and LTZ 20s. Our normal hwy is 17.0. Lifetime for the truck is 13.5mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan