My '01 Tahoe LT 5.3, Got Questions !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjeag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello there, Im new at this forum, and also new with a Tahoe. Had this car for about 4 months.

My first question, is about lights.

Question 1.
Low and high beam does everybody know, but im confused.
What is DRL, and what is Parking lights on this vehicle ?
Usually, low beam is on when i start the car, even if its a sunny day !
But suddenly lights are of. Got no control of it at all, if im not just use the light switch and put the lights on.

Also, when low beam is on, i cant adjust it down to, what i think is, park light without stopping the car. Applying handbrake, and then start the car again.
Then the light switch can be used again.

Anyone know what the problem can be, or at least what is normal ?

Off track, got some pictures i took yesterday, but not very good good ones.
Just got 305 70 16 tyres, BF Mud.

http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv83/kjeag/Tahoe/

Quick question, what light is on in the front ? Parking, or DRL ? Whats the difference ?

Regards Kjetil Andre

Last edited:

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck and welcome to the forum. It looks like you're missing a bulb. The illuminated lights in the middle are your DRLs. The lights just outside of those that are not illuminated are your turn signals and the little bulbs on the end that are illuminated are "parking" lights. Your turn signal should have a running light that is lit with your "parking" lights. I would guess that the incorrect bulb is installed in the housing.

To answer your question about the lights turning on when you start the vehicle, these trucks have automatic lights. If the sensor does not "see" light when the vehicle is started, the lights will come on. After you drive the vehicle a bit in the sun, the lights will turn back off.

I hope these responses help :)

OP
OP
kjeag

kjeag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck and welcome to the forum. It looks like you're missing a bulb. The illuminated lights in the middle are your DRLs. The lights just outside of those that are not illuminated are your turn signals and the little bulbs on the end that are illuminated are "parking" lights. Your turn signal should have a running light that is lit with your "parking" lights. I would guess that the incorrect bulb is installed in the housing.

To answer your question about the lights turning on when you start the vehicle, these trucks have automatic lights. If the sensor does not "see" light when the vehicle is started, the lights will come on. After you drive the vehicle a bit in the sun, the lights will turn back off.

I hope these responses help :)

I just checked on my truck, there is a bulb where the driving light should be, and used as turning light, perhaps, as you say, its wrong.
But the DRL wire could also be cut. What else can I say ? Its Norway rules in a nutcase !

See if im correct !

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv83/kjeag/Tahoe/Question.jpg

You say there is automatic lights, is there any fuse or something, to prevent this option ? Would this bring back the chance to use my light switch as it should be used ?
Then i would do that, because very many, as myself, using foglight with parking lights at daytime, and when its dark I only use low beam. But as the laws says, its not allowd to drive with low beam and fog at the same time.

Last edited:

SHWELL

Reaction score
The light you point to in your pic as Parking light, is in fact the DRL's.. Those are usually what remains on after you vehicle picks up the lighting situation (Sunny, Dark)..

OP
OP
kjeag

kjeag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The light you point to in your pic as Parking light, is in fact the DRL's.. Those are usually what remains on after you vehicle picks up the lighting situation (Sunny, Dark)..

Okey, thanks, got more vice now :) I'we allso been out checking at my truck, and concluded with the same as you told me now.
But.....
Should those go off, when i remove fuse and relay ?
At my truck, nothing happens at all !

Edit:

If Parking light and DRL is at the same lamp, where is relay and fuse to the automatic lights ?

Edit 2:
And also, when the automatic lights is on, i cant go down at parking light what so ever, without stopping the engine, apply hand brake. Then when i start up again, I can use lightswitch however i want.

Last edited:

A623Z

Reaction score
Good question on the pic..doesn't look familiar.. to answer your question on diasabling the auto lights though it is possible. I disabled mine when I went with HID's to prevent them from burning out when starting the truck. there's a good write up somewhere on here that walks you through cutting a wire on the BCM under the dash and grounding it out. You can then use your headlight switch for ON/OFF operation

OP
OP
kjeag

kjeag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood! Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks alot !
I hope so to, just have to make a little research, and trying and failing.

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

Good question on the pic..doesn't look familiar.. to answer your question on diasabling the auto lights though it is possible. I disabled mine when I went with HID's to prevent them from burning out when starting the truck. there's a good write up somewhere on here that walks you through cutting a wire on the BCM under the dash and grounding it out. You can then use your headlight switch for ON/OFF operation

Thanks, i'll check if I can find out anything tomorrow !

But i guess it have to wait until i got the fender flares on :)

OP
OP
kjeag

kjeag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Guess it was this writeup you tought about ??

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10901

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52