My 2001 tahoe 300k miles original engine/transmision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Nice! Welcome to the forum. I've got 160K and considering a preemptive transmission rebuild although it's still working fine. Your experience is comforting.

Joe Hudson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Many thanks for this forum and member contributions, certainly has educated me...

I've an 08 Tahoe with 240k, orig engine and tran (changed the fluids more often than spec)...
I thought I was good about wear items but had totally ignored the rear control arms - what a mistake, and what an improvement in ride quality, handling, and noise reduction. The job itself is not difficult, blanket on the garage floor and a breaker bar, I tried a side at a time but smarter to get the vehicle up and supported, then a bottle jack the take tension off the axle, things stay aligned.
Again, thanks for member insights and experience, hope this helps someone.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from NorCal. Beautiful! You may have a Unicorn there! I've not seen a stock transmission go that long!

Trund

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Luckily I found this thread.....
I have a 2012 Tahoe LT in NYC with 248,000 miles. Well the tranny is shot. It stops engaging after driving 5 minutes. I have to shut down the vehicle, wait 5 minutes and the tranny will work again for 5 minutes. When it does work, there is either a kick to it or it just fades out. Can a transmission tuneup help or do I need a new tranny?
Which model tranny do I need?
Swap the engine at the same time?

Thanks,

 Ted

The last 8 of my VIN are CR165210.

CFDBtn8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not surprised at all… my 2004 Tahoe has 320,000 w original motor and transmission- I would drive it to Alaska without hesitation. Good for you.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Luckily I found this thread.....
I have a 2012 Tahoe LT in NYC with 248,000 miles. Well the tranny is shot. It stops engaging after driving 5 minutes. I have to shut down the vehicle, wait 5 minutes and the tranny will work again for 5 minutes. When it does work, there is either a kick to it or it just fades out. Can a transmission tuneup help or do I need a new tranny?
Which model tranny do I need?
Swap the engine at the same time?

Thanks,

 Ted

The last 8 of my VIN are CR165210.

Post your issue in the correct year forum, and the responses will be more targeted to your situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
07-62escalade