My new Tahoe's first brush with GM Service - not good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 weeks later I was having issues with something and decided I would schedule a service appointment at a local dealer. Keep in mind, my only experience with dealers has been at Lexus, where I've been having cars serviced for the last 10 years. I show up at the Chevy dealer today, and I am told that I will have to wait 90 minutes or 2 hours before they can put me in a loaner (rental) car. This is the exact opposite of what I was told on the phone when I made the appt. He says that they need to diagnose it before they can justify giving me a car. I would have thought the fact that the vehicle has 350 miles on it and it already needs service would be enough to justify giving me a car - but oh well.

I inform him that I have a meeting scheduled this morning, and can't hang around for 2 hours - and I was told that I could drop off the car in the morning and be on my way. Instead of apologizing for the miscommunication, he says "the loaner policy is explained in the manual". I tell him that I was under the impression that the information I was given by his service department on the phone was correct.

I figure it's just this particular dealership, so I thank him and head out. Long story short, I call 2 other dealers and get similar stories, with one dealer telling me that even if I drop my truck off at 7:45am on a weekday, the shuttle probably won't get me to work by 8:30 (I work about 8 miles from this dealer), and a rental definitely won't get me to work on time because of the hassle of going through Enterprise, which I've come to realize is GM's infinitely inferior policy when compared to Lexus' policy of having their own loaner cars.

I understand that GM is not Lexus, but it seems as though having some sort of option that allows your customers to make it to work on time when their brand new car needs service is just common sense logistics, not a "luxury" feature, no? Don't get me wrong, I love the truck so far, but I would like to hear some of your stories in terms of what you typically experience. Am I in for years of sub-par customer service?

What was the problem with the Tahoe?

I have no problem getting a loaner from my local dealership. Make an appointment if possible and they put me in a loaner (usually a GM with less than 5k) and I'm on my merry way within 15 minutes. They even would throw in a free hand wash with every service

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like crappy dealers and the neighboring dealers can get away with it if they're all terrible service dealers. I use two different GM Dealers for my services light and heavy. Both dealers will have a car waiting for me when I get there. They don't even have a problem if I can't return the loaner to them for more than 2-3 days after mine is fixed. One time I have to go out of town and wouldn't be back for 3 days after mine was completed. They said "see you when you get back".

I would look for a new reputable dealer in the area that wants your business. Don't let them tell you that since they didn't sell you the vehicle that you won't get the same priority treatment. All dealer Service Managers and good Writers know that the service and parts department makes more money than the car sales department do.

jbb01

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to talk to someone who can actually make decisions, ie service manager, and get you what you need. I guarantee that if you talk to service manager you will get what you need...and if not move onto another dealership that understands customer service!

biggusblockus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dealership is pretty good - on my last visit they are pushing the highest ratings on the GM survey....the dealers NEED to get the top level comments on the service and purchase surveys to get the bonuses - anything less than the highest level and they get nicked.

OP
OP
G

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What was the problem with the Tahoe?

I have no problem getting a loaner from my local dealership. Make an appointment if possible and they put me in a loaner (usually a GM with less than 5k) and I'm on my merry way within 15 minutes. They even would throw in a free hand wash with every service

Sometimes it won't start. When I turn the key, nothing happens, almost like the battery is dead, except the NAV and everything else comes on. I have to turn the key several times to get it to start. This has happened 5 times.

As an added note: I did talk to the service managers at 2 of the 3 dealerships.

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Chevy dealer always offers a loaner, especially if it is something hard broke, not intermittent. GMC dealer does not and their service department isn't that great anyway. A big reason why I would probably buy a Chevy before a GMC.

lowexpo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your poor service. My local dealer is incredible when it comes to service, I live in a town of less than 7000 people though. Here service sells and they move the trucks and Tahoes like crazy. Joe V Clayton in Arab,Al