My Yukon Troubles!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had never heard of replacing the oil pump would damage the engine either.

I think course of action would have been determine if the oil sender was the issue first, but I guess the shop was addressing the rear main seal and had already torn it down for that.

I pulled the engine on my 06 Suburban a few months ago for a refresh. I removed the oil pump to inspect it and it was in pristine condition, so I put it back together and reinstalled it. The truck had 260k and the pressure on the engine is good. I did replace all bearings which had marginal wear. The bearings are the ones that are usually the cause of low oil pressure.

These gerotor pumps on these engines don't really wear out much unless debris runs through the oil. I have read replacing a pump with a high volume (or high pressure?) does increase the oil pressure if the engine is worn and has oil pressure issues. I have not done that myself.

Checking oil pressure with a mechanical guage is the best way to determine the actual pressure.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with replacing a 2007 oil pump with one made in 2024 is the new one will be a piece of junk & the old one would have been fine for 3 lifespans of the engine

The days of tossing good used parts because your in that area working on stuff is past, there is simply no way to be certain of the quality of new parts & the likelihood that you will get garbage is very high regardless of the brand or where you buy it

That said, any mechanic who thinks a new oil pump can damage an old engine is not a mechanic that should be working on any vehicle that you care about or carry loved ones in; he clearly doesn't understand how the things work that he is paid to repair & maintain, which is also a very common issue in our time

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with replacing a 2007 oil pump with one made in 2024 is the new one will be a piece of junk & the old one would have been fine for 3 lifespans of the engine

The days of tossing good used parts because your in that area working on stuff is past, there is simply no way to be certain of the quality of new parts & the likelihood that you will get garbage is very high regardless of the brand or where you buy it

That said, any mechanic who thinks a new oil pump can damage an old engine is not a mechanic that should be working on any vehicle that you care about or carry loved ones in; he clearly doesn't understand how the things work that he is paid to repair & maintain, which is also a very common issue in our time

I mean that's fair, you can't get good parts these days, even oem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottMM