Nasty HVAC quote, seeking advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy! I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for some more advice here. For the past few months I've been having the problem where only heat was coming out of the passenger side vents. Because its been winter and I haven't been driving people around much because of school, I haven't cared. But now its warming up and I'm back home, and my girlfriend is getting ticked. We had tried the fuse reset at the shop but it didn't yield any result. So they plugged it in and pulled 2 codes, and said the replacement of the passenger side actuator and the recirculation actuator was needed. Quote:
20140512_144959_zps27416ec0.jpg

If you can't see it, the total is $1500. I said have a good day, naturally. My passengers can suffer.

What is y'alls take on this quote? First off, the prices for those parts is ridiculous. Even when the mechanic was on the phone receiving the quote, he sarcastically asked if they were made of titanium.

I called around to some GM dealers hoping for lower prices, which I got:
Covert Buick GMC
Passenger - $89
Recirc - $263
Total R&R - $674
Total after tax-ish - $1100

Chuck Nash Auto
Passenger - $86 + $164 R&R
Recirc - $263 + $439 R&R
Total R&R - $603
Total after tax-ish - $1030

Nyle Maxwell GMC
Passenger - $283
Recirc - $263
Couldn't reach service Dept.

So my first question about these results is, why in the hell was the place I first went to seeking $309 each? (I knew this was BS immediately because I've seen guys here DIY it for some $50).

My next question is, what exactly does the recirc actuator do? I do not ever use the Recirculate function of the AC. Can I get the passenger actuator changed, for about $300, and call it a day? Or DIY it if I found the support.

Thanks for the input, as always!

Edit: As well, what is the HVAC flush/recharge that is mentioned in the quote?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those actuators are like $70-$80 each. You should o some research and swap them out yourself.

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those actuators are like $70-$80 each. You should o some research and swap them out yourself.

Which I really would prefer to do, but I don't know if I can. But I guess for this its more labor intensive in that its just removing part after part, and not so much worrying about electronics. I just need to find a good day to spend all day learning something new :p

Thank you very much for these links. I've seen similar from Sparky's for the blend door, but it seemed a little too much. However, these 2 look perfect. That said, will I be able to follow them to the T or will there be any slight differences to expect between Silvy/Yukon?

Also, one of those links listed this actuator to purchase. Is that only for the recirc, or can I get 2 and replace both?

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opened my eyes and found:

Blend Door Actuator, correlating to this guide.

Mode Valve Actuator, correlating to this guide.

So, just to confirm. Could I get away with not doing the Mode Valve Actuator, and just doing the Blend Door Actuator? That said, that blend door is $130. Is that a normal price...? Starting to think these dealers weren't giving me the right part info.

P Dub

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thats a pretty big quote im having the same issue but with driver side itll blow nice and cool then itll go hot didnt know it would cost that much at a shop