Need a little help with CANBus trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ham-Truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've traced out a problem with my truck not starting as caused by a problem with CANBus on my truck; in particular CAN_Hi & CAN_Lo are both reading 11.49VDC from V_BATT on the ODB port with engine off. CAN_Hi to SIG_GRND measures as 5.679 kOhms, CAN_Lo to SIG_GRND is 5.634 kOhm, CAN_Hi to CAN_Lo is 121.6 Ohm.
Engine on has CAN_Hi at 1.52VDC & CAN_Lo at 1.06VDC from SIG_GRND.
My main mechanic says that it's likely a fault in either the wiring or in one of the CANBus modules, but where are they all?
I know where the ECU is, & that the Instrument Cluster is another, but where are the rest?

My main mechanic is too busy to look at it anytime this month, and my back-up mechanic tried to sell me a new ECU for $900.

BattleTank

Reaction score
Are you saying you are seeing batt voltage on CANH/CANL? That's a huge no-no. Power off, you should see nothing after all the modules go to sleep.

If you are measuring OHMS on CANH and CANL, you should be seeing 60 ohms, not 120. It appears you have a dead module somewhere.

Are you noticing anything wrong electronic wise? Radio, windows, cluster etc? All working ok? Trans ok?

BattleTank

Reaction score
Also, a lot of times, if you pull fault codes and see a lot of U codes that lost communication with someone, that's a good indication too.

davidavidd

Reaction score
A few years ago something similar happened to me, basically everything is connected to the can bus: A/C, radio, seats, some lights, etc.
Usually above the pedals there is a can bus switch or splice, disconnect everything except the computers required to start the engine, if the engine start, just try connecting one by one until you find the one that "knocks down" the CAN network, in my case it was the seat heater control.

On some trucks there is a reported fault of broken wires next to the steering column and almost all the wires that run through there are vital to the ignition, so once there, take the opportunity to check for open/cutted cables.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have air ride shocks, the modual for it is in the back and pretty common to get water and stuff in it, taking down the whole network. there's some youtube videos on it.

OP
OP
H

Ham-Truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you saying you are seeing batt voltage on CANH/CANL? That's a huge no-no. Power off, you should see nothing after all the modules go to sleep.

If you are measuring OHMS on CANH and CANL, you should be seeing 60 ohms, not 120. It appears you have a dead module somewhere.

Are you noticing anything wrong electronic wise? Radio, windows, cluster etc? All working ok? Trans ok?
A dead module you say...
The only thing I'd previously noted is that rolling down the road (especially when it's wet) sometimes I'll hit a buckle in the road & the gauges in the cluster will zero out & I'll get the "Service StabiliTrak" message on the InfoCenter & the StabiliTrak disabled light will illuminate. A bit later, it'll all come back on.

No, I don't have AirShocks, and this LT model is not equipped with memory seats.
I'll check around the steering column, between the steering rack & pump, and the back of the bellhousing, and the termination resistor over the spare this morning to be sure.

This madness is eating me alive in rental car fees & worse, chewing up my workday when I spend half of it trying to get wheels under me.

OP
OP
H

Ham-Truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the computer to talk breifly through the ODB2 port after cycling the ignition off, this tells me that you're on to something @BattleTank

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
When i had lights going crazy, it was a ground.

I even had the truck stall once after a long drive home with both the front and rear ac on full blast.
Hours before that i drove through a mud puddle.

I found the mud coated the grounds on the driver side under the driver seat, and the rear seat.

I cleaned everything, and then removed the grounds to inspect.
They looked great, so i cut the wire insulation back.
I found green corrosion!

I cleaned that up with electrical contact spray and soldering flux, then flowed solder into the joint.

All has been great since then.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What you are describing is the classic scenario of rotten + / - battery cables degrading from the inside out. They look pretty outside, inside they’re resisting and laughing at you chase codes.

Change em out, THEN start following the real codes because the can/bus will have full, uninterrupted 5v to communicate.

OP
OP
H

Ham-Truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What you are describing is the classic scenario of rotten + / - battery cables degrading from the inside out. They look pretty outside, inside they’re resisting and laughing at you chase codes.

Change em out, THEN start following the real codes because the can/bus will have full, uninterrupted 5v to communicate.
I would, but I just replaced them all with brand new 2 ga made in USA wire only 6 months ago. I crimped them. wrapped them in 2 layers of wire loom after putting adhesive heat shrink tubing on the ends.
I did both battery hots (daul battery mod), the isolator to the alternator, the grounds to the chassis from each battery, & the wire to the starter, I even put in a new one bonding the engine to the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Expolted goat

Latest posts