Need help finding a bulb!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know I have caught the bug in replacing all the burnt out interior backlighting for my switches and guages in my truck and I've just about got all of them resoldered and replaced! Well in my repair travels I've stumbled on to a few items in the truck that are actually removable sockets instead of the GM solder only bulbs and figured I was good to go to get them from the dealership..........but I guess I was wrong!!! So far I've found out that the seat memory/heater switches and also the headlight switch have this socket type bulb but when I went to the dealership they couldn't even find a bulb part # for the seat heater switch and the headlight bulb they said is discontinued!! How stupid is that?!?!?!??!

So, does anyone know if there is a place that might have this specific GM type bulb since I can't get one from the dealership? The bulbs that I have been using might work but the metal leads are too short to just swap them out unless I get creative and solder some lead extensions on them since they wrap around and through the sockets in such a stupid way (I will be doing this if I can't find the bulbs)!!

Anyone help me?

Attachments

• Bulb 1.JPG
    Bulb 1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Bulb 2.JPG
    Bulb 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a side note, if anyone can find the headlight switch bulb somewhere, that would work even though it's quite a bit longer than the other one in question, I can modify it to work for what I need!! It was part #38 on GM's computer when looking at the headlight switch if that helps!!

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the bulb out of the socket (left one) compared to the bulb from Radio Shack (right one) that I've been using to replace the backlights from the other switches, notice how much shorter the leads are on the right one as well as the white base on the bulb is wider than the socket base!

Anyone have an idea on the specs for the OEM bulb so I could get a bulb from Radioshack? Would it be the same as the other OEM's that I have been replacing with the radio shack bulb just a different bulb style? By the way, the # for the bulb on the right that I have been using is #272-1154, it's worked great for all the switches and buttons that I have been fixing!

Attachments

• Bulb 3.JPG
    Bulb 3.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 41

TailHook

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
Have you tried Radio Shack #272-1092?

These bulbs do not have a built-in base and longer leads that aren't near as rigid as the 1154 bulb...

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Radio Shack #272-1092?

These bulbs do not have a built-in base and longer leads that aren't near as rigid as the 1154 bulb...

I have not but I'm gonna check it out after work tomorrow, as well as the dealership for a part number for a bulb I got from another member on here!! Thank you for the part number and help!!

By the way, how did you know about this bulb, have you used it before or did you find in online?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta say thanks for the scoop on the replacement bulb, went to Radio Shack tonight and picked up 4 bulbs and they look like an exact replacement of the original bulbs, redid the socket with the new bulb and will test it out tomorrow after work!! Thanks again TailHook and Joe1129uscg for all your help!!

TailHook

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
By the way, how did you know about this bulb, have you used it before or did you find in online?

I've used them before...1092 for my HVAC controls and steering wheel buttons.

Glad it all worked out and happy to help...now if I could just find more of those little blue bulb condoms!

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no doubt!! I've lost a few since my switch backlighting conquest, just been lucky to find every last one of them!!

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulb works like a charm, it's a tad brighter than the OEM but I like it better a bit brighter!! Now I gotta tear the switch apart and see if there is another bulb in there that lights up the seat position buttons since they are dark as can be even though the seat heater section is bright now!! Stupid GM!!!
Thanks again Tailhook!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925