Need help finding a bulb!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TailHook

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
Anytime!

I noticed the 1092's were a bit brighter than stock, too, so I replaced all bulbs in the HVAC and wheel buttons...if a couple were out, the remainder were likely not far behind! If I do this again, I'll be replacing them with chip LED's instead...

Had to go to 3 different Radio Shack's to get enough bulbs...that place isn't what it used to be back in the day for electronic parts.

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other radio shack bulbs that I've been using from radioshack are a tad brighter than the OEM's as well but not by much!! And I agree about your radio shack comment about them not being what they use to be, they still have a ton of stuff just not in the stores! You can get alot of stuff that you can't in the stores online, and often times you can get free shipping to your house on orders!!
And on a side note, tore the seat heater switch apart this morning and I guess there is no bulb for the seat memory buttons, I guess they never were designed to light up!! Stupid GM, why light up half of a switch?!?!?!?

mrwd40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TailHook you said that next time you'll be putting in chip LEDs...can you elaborate? I've got a handful of switch bulbs (both steering wheel and HVAC) that I need to replace. Not exactly sure what I'm doing and haven't pulled any of the switches apart yet, but think I can probably figure it out. But I was wondering if you were going to be using chip LEDs next time b/c it’s easier then replacing with an actual bulb or b/c you want a different look. Sounds like Radio Shack is the place to go for bulbs... any idea where I could get the chip LEDs you mentioned? Any additional info or pointers would be greatly appreciatated!

TailHook

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
The level of difficulty, whether replacing with either bulbs or LED's, is roughly the same. LED's will generally require a resistor in series (~470 ohms) with the anode, so there is an additional part to solder.

I'll be doing chip LED's next time they burn out simply because of their service life compared to the incandescents. The OE bulbs lasted over 5 years, so we'll see how long the new set lasts. In hindsight, I should have done LED's this round...

As far as the look goes, I like mods that are what I call "enhanced stock"...to that end, an LED that closely matches the stock color and intensity is what I'm looking for...

I'll likely source the parts here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com

John__M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, to be clear,

You used the 1092 to replace the headlight switch backlight? My headlight switch backlight is also burned out, the 1092 is alot smaller than the original bulb. Does that even matter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925