Need help to set suspension for LT285/17R17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I’m currently running 275/55R20 on my 04 Tahoe Z71 4x4 and came across a good deal on some LT285/70R17 10ply load E that I bought

I have been doing some research on here and some people say that these will fit on stock (Z71) and some say they will rub. I am looking for a set of OEM snowflakes to put them on

Anyways I think I’m going to be giving my suspension a refresh anyways, I believe 3 of my shocks are original. I have not done any suspension work since I have owned it at 150k miles, now at 198k.

Anyways I do not do this kind of work myself so it will be in a shop. What do you guys recommend replacing? I have seen the front end 10 or 13 piece kits.

And what kind of suspension set up do you guys recommend running to accommodate the 285/70R17 if they won’t fit stock? Can I run bulletin 4600? Or should I go with 5100 regardless?

Sorry kind of new to this and too much to learn with leveling, lift, raising torsion bars or keys

If someone can give me a setup plan so I plan to talk to the shop about then that would be great, at least it would look like I know what I’m talking about

I think I’m leaning towards leveling so what would that include? Is that just raising the front end with keys?

Here are some pics

Front drivers, rear drivers, rear passanger, front passanger

Attachments

• IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2458.jpeg
    IMG_2458.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I’m currently running 275/55R20 on my 04 Tahoe Z71 and came across a good deal on some LT285/70R17 10ply load E that I bought

I have been doing some research on here and some people say that these will fit on stock (Z71) and some say they will rub. I am looking for a set of OEM snowflakes to put them on

Anyways I think I’m going to be giving my suspension a refresh anyways, I believe 3 of my shocks are original. I have not done any suspension work since I have owned it at 150k miles, now at 198k.

Anyways I do not do this kind of work myself so it will be in a shop. What do you guys recommend replacing? I have seen the front end 10 or 13 piece kits.

And what kind of suspension set up do you guys recommend running to accommodate the 285/70R17 if they won’t fit stock? Can I run bulletin 4600? Or should I go with 5100 regardless?

Sorry kind of new to this and too much to learn with leveling, lift, raising torsion bars or keys

If someone can give me a setup plan so I plan to talk to the shop about then that would be great, at least it would look like I know what I’m talking about

I think I’m leaning towards leveling so what would that include? Is that just raising the front end with keys?

Here are some pics

Front drivers, rear drivers, rear passanger, front passanger
I doubt it will rub if it does you could probably just crank your stock torsion keys up to get another inch or two but may result in a rougher ride that’s why it’s better to get leveling keys and leave them uncranked.
Those 13 piece kits are usually Detroit eBay or cheap PoS kits and if you plan to keep this thing for a long time I’d opt for ac delco or kryptonite suspension parts (kryptonite being the best I’ve used on these trucks)
It’s expensive but a one and done type deal
Also if your looking for “snowflakes” for those tires they don’t make smaller then a 20” snowflake rim unless your talking about the snowflake looking rim that comes on the colorados which I believe are 17”-18” rims
On the 99-06 all my buddy’s ran 35/12.50 mud tires on stock rims and still barly rubbed with lift keys if anything I think they would rub on the control arms more unless a small wheel spacer is used (1/4” or so) which isn’t no big deal
Other rub spot is the inner cab corner which you would do the NorCal mod to gain Clarence
Again I highly doubt the 33” tires will give you any issues all my crowd would run 35s and my one buddy we were able to fit 22x14” wheels on 33/12.50 tires with a leveling kit and a body lift and it cleared full lock all day long
Again front end parts if your keeping it go with kryptonite if not expect to be changing it again in no time…

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response

So maybe I should get the bilstein 4600 and leveling keys from the get go and be safe along with the other suspension parts. I do plan to keep it for a while. Or the 5100 if those have a better purpose for me

I’m going to look for an AC Delco kit for these trucks

Which bilstein shocks and leveling kits do you recommend

The snowflakes I’m talking about are the 17” snowflakes that came on the nbs Tahoe, suburban Z71 models as pictured here

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 285/70R17 with cranked torsion bars and Bilstein 5100s. I turned the upper bolts for the rear shocks around so the heads were on the outside. the rear inner liners kinda self cearanced. No rubbing anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyCoates12