New Distributor and now P1345 Code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kope

Reaction score
I just installed a new distributor on my 97 5.7 Tahoe, the truck runs great but im pulling a P1345 code? my question is does anyone know if you can set the distributor with a timing light?
I know you usually use a OBDII scan tool that reads data streams, but i dont have access to one.

Thanks

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Negative on the timing light... computer controlled. You might be off a tooth or two on the distributor gear (common since you replaced the distributor), might need to replace the distributor bushings if they are worn or allowing excessive movement, might need to replace the cam/crank sensor.

If everything is right mechanically, you'll need to flash the computer to reset it (crank relearn).

OP
OP
kope

kope

Reaction score
well i hope the distributor bushings aren't bad since its brand new.
I though i was off a tooth but when i either advanced or retarded a tooth the engine wouldn't idle.
how do you go about resetting the computer?

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Where are you located?
IDK what this has to do with my situation but I'm located in Columbia Falls, MT
oh is this about access to a scan tool? i just found out that i may be able to access one so we'll see, hopefully i can.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the spark plug on #1 (drivers side front). Turn the engine by hand to find TDC. It should be obvious if you are within a few teeth. The rotor should be pointing at spark wire #1. If it’s pointing at #6 you are on the exhaust stroke and have to come around again.

Use something like a ty-rap to feel for the piston through the spark plug hole. Do not use anything that can break and leave a problem like a pencil.

When you get the crank set at TDC and the rotor is not pointed at #1, pull the distributor out and move it so it is…….

The computer cannot learn it’s way out of the distributor being physically out of sync.

No big deal, just use a flex bar with socket on the end of the crank to turn it around……… Someone else may have to be doing the feeling with the ty-rap, while being turned. Good luck.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to believe there is a line on the harmonic balancer and a notch molded into the timing cover, but I don't have a 97 to verify that.

Either way, if you have the piston at the top of #1 and you can rock it back and forth to prove it, it has to be TDC if the rotor is anywhere near #1.

I'm guessing your off one tooth or so which is easy to do. When the distributor comes out, it turns the oil pump connection on the way out being a helical gear. It sometimes leaves the oil pump drive in position to select the next tooth. If you can see it is advanced too far, just move it back one tooth and hit the starter, just for an instant, to get it to drop all the way into the oil pump drive. Don't actually start it, just hit the starter for a second and then off.

Leave the plug out to check it if you want to be sure.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Yeah..if you were in Cali I would have been able to help you out.

IIRC correctly there should be a notch on the harmonic balancer on the Vortec engines. I wouldn't mess with it though until you get the scan tool though seeing as how the engine is able to start and idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968