New Distributor and now P1345 Code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no adjustment for timing according to the manual.

The OBDII is supposed to be able to find itself. If the gears are in sync with the cam, I would look elsewhere for the code violation.

What does code book say for P1345 ?

They mention checking the timing while disconnecting the EST wire. (Tan with black stripe). At idle with the EST unhooked, it should be showing the same timing listed on the Emissions Control Information label in the engine compartment.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Yeah you need the scan tool to either turn the distributor while the truck is idling and has reached operating temperature. Rev the RPMs to 1000, hold it there and adjust the timing while keeping your eye on the scan tool, should be + 2/-2 degrees.

You only unplug the EST wire when setting the timing on TBI engines.

dsd4yk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drove my 99 for years with the service engine light on, turns out it was the camshaft position sensor in the distributor...go figure...

OP
OP
kope

kope

Reaction score
well problem solved, i brought my Hoe over to my uncles shop and we hooked it up to his scan tool and got it all set. he said he's never had a problem with that code and sensor....but as soon as it was set i could audibly hear a difference in the engine...thanks guys for your Knowledge. on to my next topic, de-catting.

OP
OP
kope

kope

Reaction score
So the timing was off some?

no the timing is set via the crank sensor, and the PCM does it for you, the cam sensor was off, it was 4 degrees advanced, close but no cigarette. it needed to be @1000rpm's 0 +/- 2 kinda sucks that you have to have an expensive scan tool to do it tho.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
LoL you know what I mean't.

Yeah, cheapest scan tool that will read cam retard is the AutoXray 6000, it is worth the $300 though.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the timing is set via the crank sensor, and the PCM does it for you, the cam sensor was off, it was 4 degrees advanced, close but no cigarette. it needed to be @1000rpm's 0 +/- 2 kinda sucks that you have to have an expensive scan tool to do it tho.

So what exactly was done to cure your 4 degree error? Software edit? Cam sensor replacement? Timing chain replacement?

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
You just hook up the scanner, let engine reach operating temperature, rev it up to 1000RPM and hold it there. Then you have a buddy turn the distributor until the scan tool gives you a reading of 0° +/- 2

Would be kinda of the same concept as setting the timing on a TBI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968