New Heavy duty AC Delco shocks bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NW94Z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This may be the wrong section but I'm looking for a quick answer so I can return these shocks if need be in a hurry to get replacements in time to install.

I ordered a set of rear shocks for a 2007 RWD Tahoe and I'm questioning what I got. Opened up the box and the shock was compressed but nothing was keeping it compressed like a strap. Both shocks were the same. I tried to compress the shocks further but the won't budge. So next I tried to uncompress or expand the shocks and with some effort I was able to fully open each one up. I could then recompress them. It took some effort and they open and close relatively slowly but is this normal. I've never seen a shock that wasn't "charged" that would have to be forced to compress but would uncompress itself without anything keeping it compressed. These are supposed to be heavy duty shocks. Part # is ACDELCO Part # 52568 and I bought them off of RockAuto. Is something wrong with them or is this normal and will they actually work in my application?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does not sound right at all

I bought red z71 ACDelcos off of Amazon

They where a pain to compress. They extended fast as well.

Even my OEM blue shocks after 60k extended fast

There are some shocks that are low pressure by design like belltechs

They take forever to extend. Especially in the winter time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NW94Z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That does not sound right at all

I bought red z71 ACDelcos off of Amazon

They where a pain to compress. They extended fast as well.

Even my OEM blue shocks after 60k extended fast

There are some shocks that are low pressure by design like belltechs

They take forever to extend. Especially in the winter time.

So the ones I picked up must be low pressure but is there such a thing as this low pressure on new shocks. I can see if one was bad but both behave the same way and they actually shipped from different locations and came boxed separately. I would think heavy duty would be more charged.

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
Keep pumping them and see if they get stiffer as they prime. I have been watching several youtube videos lately because I am changing the struts on one of my cars. Some of them prime them on the bench by pumping them until they get stiff. If you don't do it they will prime as you drive.

OP
OP
N

NW94Z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keep pumping them and see if they get stiffer as they prime. I have been watching several youtube videos lately because I am changing the struts on one of my cars. Some of them prime them on the bench by pumping them until they get stiff. If you don't do it they will prime as you drive.

I though about that. I want to say they are stiffening up as I open and close them but then that could just be wishful thinking in my head because I don't want to deal with returning them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52