New to the Z71--Need Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StarboyChad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been on these forums for a while now. I previously had a 2006 Yukon Denali. I gained quite a bit a valuable insight while owning that particular truck. I have recently acquired a 2002 Z71 Tahoe. The suspension has quite a bit of play and a ton of squeaks and rattles. I am essentially looking into purchasing new "everything" to replace it all as new. The struggle I am running in to is most of the places I look, the description doesn't list Z71 as compatible. It only states 4WD. I know there are some slight differences between the two, seeing as the Z71 has a higher ride height and the sort. I am missing something when looking for the parts? I really don't want to order a bunch of parts, tear the truck down and they not be the correct ones. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best places to look for this?

justirv

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been on these forums for a while now. I previously had a 2006 Yukon Denali. I gained quite a bit a valuable insight while owning that particular truck. I have recently acquired a 2002 Z71 Tahoe. The suspension has quite a bit of play and a ton of squeaks and rattles. I am essentially looking into purchasing new "everything" to replace it all as new. The struggle I am running in to is most of the places I look, the description doesn't list Z71 as compatible. It only states 4WD. I know there are some slight differences between the two, seeing as the Z71 has a higher ride height and the sort. I am missing something when looking for the parts? I really don't want to order a bunch of parts, tear the truck down and they not be the correct ones. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best places to look for this?
I think the Z71 designation indicates suspension tuning, as in spring rates and shocks, along with skid plates, etc. I have an '02 Z as well, and have used "4WD" parts for my front-end rebuild. Highly recommend only purchasing high quality parts (AC/D, Moog...) from a reputable vendor (RA, GM, etc.) AMZ has many fake parts, which will end with disappointment. Pay attention to the pitman/idler/centerlink, as I have burned the outer edges of tires due to an imperceptible high freq vibration. If you're also contemplating your wheel bearings, I can recommend Timken hubs.

OP
OP
StarboyChad

StarboyChad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the Z71 designation indicates suspension tuning, as in spring rates and shocks, along with skid plates, etc. I have an '02 Z as well, and have used "4WD" parts for my front-end rebuild. Highly recommend only purchasing high quality parts (AC/D, Moog...) from a reputable vendor (RA, GM, etc.) AMZ has many fake parts, which will end with disappointment. Pay attention to the pitman/idler/centerlink, as I have burned the outer edges of tires due to an imperceptible high freq vibration. If you're also contemplating your wheel bearings, I can recommend Timken hubs.
Thank you so much for that clarification! I am definitely planning on idler and pitman arm, as well. I'm not sure what all needs to be replaced and what doesn't, so I'm just planning to start buying it all, little by little.

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, rear springs and shocks come to mind. I know the springs are specific to Z71, and maybe the H3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachawn213