Noise from engine 1997 Tahoe 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobG999999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm very afraid of what this sound is ...

Is there a way to attach a sound file?

It started out as a "random" noise, sort of a clunk, and then it was only on slowing down after revving. Within 15 minutes, it became an all the time noise. Seems loudest at the right rear of the engine, but you can also hear it very clearly in the left front wheel well. Varies with RPM, and doesn't appear to be the fan. Just changed oil about 2 weeks ago, and oil level is good.

Not sure what else to say. I'll try to zip the sound file and see if that can attach.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Saturday at 4-43 PM.zip
    158.6 KB · Views: 5

bsamole

Reaction score
I know you said it doesn't appear to be the fan. To me it sounds like the fan blade is hitting something since it varies with rpm and it has a hollow reverberating sound not a hard knock.

OP
OP
B

BobG999999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what my brother thought as well. A little too "clangy". I'll go double check and see. The fan appears to be spinning freely, and I don't see anything. It also appears to be louder towards the rear of the engine, though that can obviously be deceiving in the engine bay.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have not heard it but the description could mean a starter drive tapping the flexplate teeth. Or, cracked flex plate. Or, exhaust shield.

Cannot open the noise file.

Finally opened the noise file: Still sounds like coming from the rear flex plate area. Not the starter drive teeth.

OP
OP
B

BobG999999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not heard it but the description could mean a starter drive tapping the flexplate teeth. Or, cracked flex plate. Or, exhaust shield.

Cannot open the noise file.

Finally opened the noise file: Still sounds like coming from the rear flex plate area. Not the starter drive teeth.
That's also what my brother thought. Any quick way to detemine that?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's also what my brother thought. Any quick way to detemine that?
It always helps to FIRST, have a Mechanic's Stethoscope and then remove the inspection cover at bottom front of the transmission and get a flashlight and watch in there with the engine at idle. Before removing the cover, get some time with the stethoscope and listen all over the engine for the source area. Noise can travel. But, it sure sounds like something in the flex plate area.

in a pinch, you can use a long screwdriver and put the point at the supposed noise source area and put an ear against the handle end and that can help pinpoint noises but the stethoscope really pins it down.

OP
OP
B

BobG999999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It always helps to FIRST, have a Mechanic's Stethoscope and then remove the inspection cover at bottom front of the transmission and get a flashlight and watch in there with the engine at idle. Before removing the cover, get some time with the stethoscope and listen all over the engine for the source area. Noise can travel. But, it sure sounds like something in the flex plate area.

in a pinch, you can use a long screwdriver and put the point at the supposed noise source area and put an ear against the handle end and that can help pinpoint noises but the stethoscope really pins it down.
Thanks for the additional info. I have QuickJacks, so that will make it easier to check things out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At 71 years old, I don't have an efffin' clue what QuickJacks is, but whatever works. Don't forget the flashlight to sight check with. Surprised you right. Thought I was gonna say start a fire for light, huh.

West 1

Reaction score
I had a flex plate crack, had the odd noise at the rear of the engine. Tranny has to be slid back to change it, nothing fun about that job if that is it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a flex plate crack, had the odd noise at the rear of the engine. Tranny has to be slid back to change it, nothing fun about that job if that is it.
You can change it without moving transmission. It's tight but can be done. Check some videos. The torque converter has to be unbolted from flex plate and pushed back into transmission bell housing while turning clockwise. Then reach in and unbolt flex plate from crank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelB