Not so good vibrations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucasmer50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 2006 LS Tahoe 4x4 that has a vibration from 65 to 75 mph. I've heard some clunking noises when shifting the trans into drive and reverse so I started with the u-joints. 4 new u-joints and a balanced rear shaft and a little bit of grease on the yokes, the clunking noise is gone but the vibration is now more pronounced. Should I have had them balance the front shaft? The tech at the local drive shaft shop, Driveline 1, told me that as long as the front shaft was not bent or dented that it should not need to be balanced. Is this true?
I put new tires on this past June at Tire Discounters, so I was due for a free rotation and balancing. The tech from Tire Discounters told me that the weights had come off of each wheel. When they balanced them this time, stock 16" wheels, they used the weights that stick on the inside of the rim this time. After driving it home, the vibration was still there but felt better. After the rotation, I can still feel the vibration through the gas pedal and the floor where my left foot is, not my seat.
When I got home I greased the front end and while the wheels were off the ground I grabbed the top and bottom of each tire tried to rotate it up and down to see if there was any play in the bearings but both sides felt tight. I did notice however that the drivers side cv shaft had more play than the passengers side. Also my lower ball joints didn’t have the zerk fittings on top, they had caps on them. It also feels like somethings loose in my steering linkage. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bair1218

Reaction score
im having the EXACT same issue.. ive tried everything.. even both wheel bearings with no help...

GM-MAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When replacing Ujoints and disconecting drive shafts, it is important to mark the shaft and the Pinion yoke on one side
GM balances the shaft to the yoke....... at the factory

Many think, why mark if changing the joint, but that is why
You could try to rotate the shaft 180° and see if there is a difference, but since the vibration lead you to change the joints, probably tire related

Bad hubs, ball joints and suspension parts do not usually cause vibrations
HOWEVER, they do amplify a small vibration, if worn. A CV shaft would if play could be felt vertically

Some larger GM dealers may have a DVA [dynamic Vibration Analyzer?]
A device put inside the vehcile and measures vibra location and speed disquinshing between MPH and RPM etc

Tires>>> the only way to know for sure is
1/ Borrow someone elses T/W's
2/ Put new ones on
3/ Road Force the ones you have, then try putting them in different locations
BUT,
There are not many shops that don't even RF properly. The just spin the T/W and note the RF pounds. If under 20lbs, they send you on your way. The correct way is to RF and if there is any question, then rotate the tire on the wheel to match the high spots

4/ Shave and balance, not many shops around that do this, but will 100% eliminate a tire issue

I have had vehicles, where the tires looked good and balanced to Zero, but still had vibrations

My brand new 275/20 Michelins where installed by a major tire store and RF'd
But still had vibration due to OOR
Brought them to another dealer who RF's properly and vibration GONE
Many tires will be OOR [out of round], but still balance properly, but have visable OOR when rotating on the vehicle

Hope this helps
Rickster

Last edited:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very useful as I have a slight vibration on my DD as well.
Thanks GM-MAN

Enviado desde mi VM670 usando Tapatalk

bair1218

Reaction score
My front drive shaft front u-joint appears to be leaking I may tie up my front drive shaft to keep it from spinning and see if the noise goes away..

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had to tell shops to rotate the tires on the rims before because they wanted to leave them where I wasn't satisfied. I have also had to tell them not to use an impact to torque the lugs without using a torque stick just to have them try to tell me that there was nothing to worry about because quote, "their impact guns only ran 60psi at best."

bair1218

Reaction score
44316f73-e1d9-4a60.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52