Odd cruise control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc1999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last week I was on an 80 mile trip in my 09 6.2 Tahoe 15000 miles and noticed that when I rolled the window down with cruise set, that it would shut off the cruise. The cruise was still activated just was like I hit the brake or cancel button, yet it was being triggered by either rolling the window all the way down or up. Sometimes it would shut off on the way up others it would shut off on the way down. Also not every time, but almost every time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
That's not good. Could be a slight electrical issue.
I am thinking it has more to do with the load the window motor puts on the electrical system when used. It just visibly presents itself when the cruise is in use.

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought...

When I first got my (now long gone) Vette my battery cable connections seemed tight but they apparently weren't tight/clean enough.

I guess the slightest variation in current flow would cause the computer to start doing some strange things: dash lights would dim, radio quit, headlights would cut out.

Was like the car was haunted until I cleaned them and really cranked down the connection.

Problem solved.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought...

When I first got my (now long gone) Vette my battery cable connections seemed tight but they apparently weren't tight/clean enough.

I guess the slightest variation in current flow would cause the computer to start doing some strange things: dash lights would dim, radio quit, headlights would cut out.

Was like the car was haunted until I cleaned them and really cranked down the connection.

Problem solved.

THIS ^^^ I had a similar yet completely different issue In my 05 dodge ram where every time I turned on my High beams it would shut CC off after a week at the dealership it turned out to be a weak splice in the battery cables

OP
OP
cc1999

cc1999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys I will check the cables.
I would think I would see lights dim or some other indication of eletrical issues, that is if its a a bad conection or power drain. I will check the cables to make sure.

Everything else seems to work normal, even the window seems to opperate like normal, if the cruise wasn't engaged at the time I rolled it down, I would never had know there was an issue with it. The Cruise worked perfectly the rest of the trip, as long as I didnt roll the window up and down it was fine.

OP
OP
cc1999

cc1999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass on an update:

I was able to find a TSB for this issue, looks like it will take a trip to dealer for the fix.

Here is the TSB in case anyone else has this happen to them. This is not a warranty item if your out of your 3-36 warranty, TSBs just tell the techs how to fix it. I am told the reflash is about $100.00 if your out of warranty period as I am out on time with mine.

#09-08-68-001: Cruise Control Turns Off During Operation (Reprogram ECM) - (Nov 13, 2009)

Subject:

Cruise Control Turns Off During Operation (Reprogram ECM)

Models:

2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2008-2009 HUMMER H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

On rare occasions, some customers may comment that the cruise control turned off. This typically occurs during operation and while pulling up and releasing both driver door window switches or activating the heated windshield washer fluid system in cold weather conditions with a battery charge below 80%.

Cause

Cruise control command cancellation is caused by a voltage spike that occurs when the driver door window switches are released or when the heated washer fluid system is activated.

Correction

A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations available. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). Refer to the SPS procedures in SI. SPS may require the technician to select the calibration from the ECM calibration screen.

Note: This calibration update should only be used when this loss of cruise control condition is experienced.

When using a Tech 2® or a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I was on an 80 mile trip in my 09 6.2 Tahoe 15000 miles and noticed that when I rolled the window down with cruise set, that it would shut off the cruise. The cruise was still activated just was like I hit the brake or cancel button, yet it was being triggered by either rolling the window all the way down or up. Sometimes it would shut off on the way up others it would shut off on the way down. Also not every time, but almost every time.

Anyone have any ideas?

cc1999,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue. This may be due to a voltage spike fixed with an ECM reprogram. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified techncian for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate