oil gauge dropped to 0 and tahoe died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all. i was driving normally and i felt the truck start to sputter and pull and let off by itself. then at a stop sign, it just died and the oil pressure fell to 0. i turned it off and started it up and made it home (less than 1 mile). i checked the oil and it was a bit low. could it just need an oil change or does it need a new pump? other possibilites?

no check engine or lights besides red battery light when it died...

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
u might have just ****** up the motor bro... i would put oil in and see if still at zero if so quickly kill it and do the pump. if still then your bearings are shot and crankshaft might be toast aswell. dont start it until you try the options i mentioned or it will be ******

OP
OP
DaUsedMCR

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just backed it into my garage and it threw code p0118, which is a coolant sensor? would that cause the truck to die like it did?

OP
OP
DaUsedMCR

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bad, i meant the oil temp drops to bottom (160), i just added some more oil and the truck isnt sputtering or dying, but the temp guage is still not moving

OP
OP
DaUsedMCR

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a replacement ECT Sensor and im going to change it. the truck is running fine, it seems, but the engine temp still reads remains down at 160. when i inspected the sensor, the plastic part of the sensor was broken in 1/2 and barely staying on. ill do a coolant drain and replace it 2mrw. hopefully it'll fix the problem. if not, ill tow it to a shop.

OP
OP
DaUsedMCR

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced the ECT sensor and refilled with coolant and it seems fine. no idling or driving issues thus far. the only thing i can think of is that since the old ECT sensor failed that the computer thought the truck was overheating?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That coolant temp sensor seems to control a lot. My truck ran like shit when I unplugged it. It sputtered and died like u described.

Check your heater hose connections at the firewall and make sure they're not leaking.

Sent from my marble slab!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71