Oil Gauge Pegged at 80... Sending Unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil gage has been pegged for sometime now (Pegs out without engine running). 5.3 LS runs and strong, no issues. Wondering if anyone had success changing their sending unit? What is the socket size for the unit? Sucker looks like it's back in there pretty good.

Let me know- thanks!

Dan

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lisle 13250 is the one. I changed one for my neighbor using it and not pulling the intake. A lot of that is by feel, but more do-able if you don't have gorilla mitts. Yours may not have that shield (that's in the way) shown in the video.

1665155714459-png.png

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wire become disconnected, cut in half or the Oil Pressure sending unit becomes bad the symptom is your oil pressure gauge will peg itself to far right. Also it is quite possible the stepper motor in the cluster is bad as well. Does the needle go far left when engine shutoff and then peg itself far right when engine started?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the wire become disconnected, cut in half or the Oil Pressure sending unit becomes bad the symptom is your oil pressure gauge will peg itself to far right. Also it is quite possible the stepper motor in the cluster is bad as well. Does the needle go far left when engine shutoff and then peg itself far right when engine started?

^^^ This. Determine if the the gauge is working properly first, then move on to the oil pressure sender circuit and the sender.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Exactly what @rockola1971 and @Fless said. Anyone can muddle thru the hassle of replacing the sensor and accomplish it or not and wish they had not even tried. But, basics first and determine if the sensor is actually bad. I would bet, over 10% of my posts on here speak of "basics first". I have told members to throw parts at a problem before but that was when it was clear in the post that they were 3/4 of the way there already. I love spending other people's money, any day.

By the way, I love "wobble extensions" when under the hood and rig. I also see the need for my trusty 1/4" drive battery powered ratchet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stels22