Oil going somewhere?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02GreyTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, 2 months or so ago I bought my Tahoe. It runs good and is fine on both power and efficiency. However, earlier today my "check engine oil level" light came on. So I checked it, and it needed about a quart of oil. It never marks its spot, and it holds a constant 60 PSI. Anyone with experience have any suggestions as to what could be wrong with it, I.E. where the oil is going? It also doesn't blow blue smoke, aka burn oil. So this is quite the mystery to me. Also keep in mind I have driven about 3k miles, so it is time for an oil change. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Colossus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you change the oil in it when you first bought the truck 2 months ago? How many mls are on the truck? I ask because its not uncommon for these motors to burn a qt between oil changes. Now for the light to come on it would have to be lower then just a qt.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had my light come on before and it does seem to burn @ quart between oil changes. I went crazy on this thing last year and replaced almost everything trying to get my mileage back up from 10mpg, I know everything is pretty new but it does burn some and there is no visible signs of it going anywhere. I have 130K on it now and it seems to be the nature of some of these things when they get up in mileage from what ive been reading

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack,but your oil pressure is around 60? Mine is 40, is that bad? Mine also burns a quart and I have 145,000 miles on it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack,but your oil pressure is around 60? Mine is 40, is that bad? Mine also burns a quart and I have 145,000 miles on it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I dont think 40 is a problem, mines about the same. My 5.3 burns oil almost as good as gas. Gotta keep an eye it when towing or sustained highway driving.