P0171 and P0174 - Stabilitrak...only under certain conditions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased an 07 Esky a few weeks back and managed to get a bit of a discount as it had a CEL due to failed o2 sensors (heater circuit codes - P0030 P0050 P0053 P0059). I just figured that it needed some new o2 sensors, so I went and replaced all 4 with genuine Bosch items from rockauto. This fixed the codes.

However, now when i drive the truck I occasionally get a 'stabilitrack bing' and a new code set for lean bank 1, 2 or both (p0171 p0174. Even with the code set the bing continues to occur as I drive, and generally under these conditions:

- when going up a long steep gradient at a constant rpm.
- when towing (it happens constantly when towing)

No other codes are set.

It does not occur when the car is idling or if i hold the revs high in park, it also doesn't occur if I floor it and drive it around like I stole it.

My OBD scanner shows STFT (fuel trims) at 0 - 1 for both banks at idle, and around -2 - 10 when driving. Occasionally going as high as 14. LTFT's are both at 0 though.

I cant hear any vacuum leaks at idle and as the fuel trims are 0 it seems to indicate there isnt one. My only thought is that my rusty exhaust manifolds are maybe allowing air to be sucked in - but only when the engine is under heavy load and maybe leaning (worn engine mounts?) for long enough for the o2 sensors to get a good steady sample of the air and set a code?

Does this sound plausible, has anyone else had a similar issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only other odd thing I've noticed is that my H02S Bank 2 Sensor 2 stays at a value of around 300mv, whereas the Bank 1 Sensor 2 is steady around 700mv. That said, these are post-cat sensors so shouldn't play any part in the engine fuelling right?

B1S1 and B2S1 jump between 99-800mv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate