Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo217

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced my pan gasket, cooler blockoff gasket, while I was in there replaced the pickup o ring. So I have two questions

1. What are some other areas I should take a look at to increase oil pressure. (Not horrible idling around 26-29 or so warm) just want it higher for a healthy motor

2. The leak still seems to be pretty darn bad. Going to act like I don’t know what a rear main seal is, is there any other places to look that may leak looking like a rear main leak but isn’t? Thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What year, make and model and I am assuming a 5.3 engine but would help to share what you are driving, or is it a secret? Mileage on the engine.

Cooler block off plate warps because is cheap pot metal. best to redo with a billet plate and o-ring. The ear main seal is a distinct possibility. You did not say why you went on this adventure. Could also be leaking oil from oil pressure sender/sensor. Back of intake. Valve cover gaskets. While you have the oil sender out, attach a mechanical gauge for a correct reading to compare. Others will chime in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced my pan gasket, cooler blockoff gasket, while I was in there replaced the pickup o ring. So I have two questions

1. What are some other areas I should take a look at to increase oil pressure. (Not horrible idling around 26-29 or so warm) just want it higher for a healthy motor

2. The leak still seems to be pretty darn bad. Going to act like I don’t know what a rear main seal is, is there any other places to look that may leak looking like a rear main leak but isn’t? Thanks.
Oil pressure sensor sits up above there, some have been known to leak before.
As for pressure pickup tube/o-ring going bad is about the only thing that can make any difference unless you change to a high volume pump.

OP
OP
Angelo217

Angelo217

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What year, make and model and I am assuming a 5.3 engine but would help to share what you are driving, or is it a secret? Mileage on the engine.

Cooler block off plate warps because is cheap pot metal. best to redo with a billet plate and o-ring. The ear main seal is a distinct possibility. You did not say why you went on this adventure. Could also be leaking oil from oil pressure sender/sensor. Back of intake. Valve cover gaskets. While you have the oil sender out, attach a mechanical gauge for a correct reading to compare. Others will chime in.
My bad yea she’s at 229k mileage. 5.3 Tahoe 2006

OP
OP
Angelo217

Angelo217

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bad yea she’s at 229k mileage. 5.3 Tahoe 2006
I went on that adventure mainly in hopes to tackle the majority of my leak and to help out the oil pressure. When removing the oil pan there was for sure indicators that it was leaking itself. It was the original pan gasket number one, and had lots of build up and gunk right around the whole gasket. Also residual fresh wet oil on the front of the pan itself going towards the rear.

Billet and an o-ring for the cooler blockoff? Im not sure what you mean by that but I will look into it thanks so much.

I went ahead and tried my best to see above the oil pan gasket. I have oil on the bottom of my starter, the top of it appeared to be dry, on the driver side it seemed to be totally dry looking up from the oil pan. My oil is leaking directly where the trans meets the block, but it’s kinda just wet all over and down the sides as well. Will def try to look at the rear of the valve covers. Replace the oil pressure sensor while im at it.

I’ve also heard apparently the crank sensor? Not sure the exact name of it but I believe it’s above the starter could leak too. Just assuming that’s not my problem since above the starter looked dry.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went on that adventure mainly in hopes to tackle the majority of my leak and to help out the oil pressure. When removing the oil pan there was for sure indicators that it was leaking itself. It was the original pan gasket number one, and had lots of build up and gunk right around the whole gasket. Also residual fresh wet oil on the front of the pan itself going towards the rear.

Billet and an o-ring for the cooler blockoff? Im not sure what you mean by that but I will look into it thanks so much.

I went ahead and tried my best to see above the oil pan gasket. I have oil on the bottom of my starter, the top of it appeared to be dry, on the driver side it seemed to be totally dry looking up from the oil pan. My oil is leaking directly where the trans meets the block, but it’s kinda just wet all over and down the sides as well. Will def try to look at the rear of the valve covers. Replace the oil pressure sensor while im at it.

I’ve also heard apparently the crank sensor? Not sure the exact name of it but I believe it’s above the starter could leak too. Just assuming that’s not my problem since above the starter looked dry.
I hate leaks, how i would approach it is I would go grab a couple bottles of purple power and spray everything under and around the engine, then pressure wash it from every possible angle.
then, go drive it a little bit and either drive it up on some ramps and get a flashlight and start looking UP at everything.
AND / or after driving it for the day park it and place some nice clean cardboard under it and check for any wet spots the next morning and look up from there.

with oil leaks part of the problem is the wind blows it all the darn place so it makes it hard to say for sure. cleaning it up real nice and clean gives you fresh point of view.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

You said that you replaced the oil cooler block off plate gasket. I said that the old plate will warp because it is made of cheap material. The best way to address is to get a billet plate cover and that will come with an oval shaped o-ring that seals for both holes at the same time. the billet plate will not warp and comes with the attaching screws.

OP
OP
Angelo217

Angelo217

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you put rtv in the corners of the oil pan? Lots of stories of people forgetting that and the leak keeps going.
Yes I did. Black permatex, and I let it sit for like 18 hours or so before adding oil or starting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24