Oil pan secondary valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AFM-DOD delete. Low oil pressure. 30 ish when cold. 10ish when warm. Everything verified. O-ring, pump spring, oil pump, 2 AC DELCO sensors. Was going to put a gauge( mechanical ). Saw I video so here's my question. The tall pressure valve removed from the oil pan. Some say block it off with a plug ( I did ). Some say put a 14X1.5 drain plug in it. Others say put a new one in . So which way is right. I've eliminated the plug one.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFM-DOD delete. Low oil pressure. 30 ish when cold. 10ish when warm. Everything verified. O-ring, pump spring, oil pump, 2 AC DELCO sensors. Was going to put a gauge( mechanical ). Saw I video so here's my question. The tall pressure valve removed from the oil pan. Some say block it off with a plug ( I did ). Some say put a 14X1.5 drain plug in it. Others say put a new one in . So which way is right. I've eliminated the plug one.
I replaced mine with a new one.

But that plug being in there shouldn't lead to pressure loss. Just the opposite. Other potential causes:

1/ worn cam bearings
2/ o-ring still not sealing right. This happened to me during my first cam swap. Replaced with Melling green ring and a new Melling HV pump, which fixed it but I'm not sure which of the two fixed it. The o-ring I took out did have a nibble taken out of it that probably happened upon install.
3/ aluminum block engines need a HV pump
4/ AFM tower seals leaking
5/ Screen below the pressure sender full of debris
6/ Oil galley dog bone at the back of the engine leaking and bleeding off pressure
7/ Wrong pressure spring installed in the oil pump at install
8/ Leaking cam retainer plate seal
9/ Oil filter bypass valve stuck open

OP
OP
G

Gilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to install a mechanical gauge to double check my gauge is good. Hope it's not cam bearings
Replaced the o-ring again
Put higher spring in pump
New pump
Sealed towers with metal stops
Replaced screen and sensor X3
Didn't touch dog bone. Maybe need new?
New cam retainer
Oil filter by pass valve?? Isint that I Replaced with a plug?
Thanks for the reply.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil filter by pass valve?? Isint that I Replaced with a plug?
Nosiree. I'm thinking of the valve inside the filter itself. Sometimes different brands of filters lead to low oil pressure on these. I use the longer Wix filters (57045) and have had good results.

OP
OP
G

Gilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. It's done this from the 1st start up. I'll keep the filter #. Going to put the gauge on it. I'll let you know. What does the 3rd hole(that I plugged) do for the oil system? Figure something with the old AFM-DOD.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. It's done this from the 1st start up. I'll keep the filter #. Going to put the gauge on it. I'll let you know. What does the 3rd hole(that I plugged) do for the oil system? Figure something with the old AFM-DOD.
As the AFM system engages and disengages, it creates pressure spikes in the oiling system. That valve in the oil pan is a pop-off type valve that will open at (I think) 60 psi to release any excess pressure. Once the pressure drops, it closes again. It's not needed if the AFM hardware has been removed.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you didn't put a high. volume pump on it you'll need one. I've noticed a trend once the last few years of people with low oil pressure changing all the common stuff that makes sense but it doesn't fix it. so you go back in with a high volume pump and it's good.

why, I don't know. why it happens I can only guess. I don't know but it seems to work and no cause issues.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you didn't put a high. volume pump on it you'll need one. I've noticed a trend once the last few years of people with low oil pressure changing all the common stuff that makes sense but it doesn't fix it. so you go back in with a high volume pump and it's good.

why, I don't know. why it happens I can only guess. I don't know but it seems to work and no cause issues.
My guess is that it goes a long way toward masking the oil pressure losses of worn cam bearings.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it goes a long way toward masking the oil pressure losses of worn cam bearings.

that's about all that makes sense. but it sure seems like the oil pressure seems to drop almost over night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GourmetRealtor