Oil pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ny_summit

Reaction score
I have a 2007 yukon xl denali. Non afm.
I currently have 89k miles. On a cold start with fresh oil and filter I have just under 60 psi I'd say around 55psi once everything is warmed up the pressure is under 20 psi around 10-15 psi. Cruising at lower speed it'll be just under 40 psi highway speed or accelerating it'll go over 40 psi. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do that can raise the warm idle psi?
Appreciate the help

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the oil pump pickup o-ring and the block off plate o-rings under the intake. Common failures due to age and temperature. Done it on 3 different yukons over the years.

The cold psi sounds good, the warm idle is a little low in my book. My 2008 6.2L runs about 50 cold, 30 hot after o-ring replacements. If you have access to a mechanical guage, you could check it that way to compare to your dash.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could try the add some oil and park on a hill with the nose down to see if the oil pressure comes up.

theory is the Oring can't suck are air it it's under oil. if pressure comes up its bad if not eh.

you can put a mechanical gauge on it. I just saw an adapter for like 20$ that goes in place of your oil filter and you screw a gauge in there up test it.

from the guys that take junk yard motors, hang turbos on tkem and go fast. all ls engines have worn out cam bearings, the trick is if you don't look at them, you won't start thinking you need to change them haha.

point being, find a steep loading dock or something to back up, if the pressure doesn't go up. personally I'd run a little thicker oil and not worry about it, others will completely rebuild the truck over it.

it's your choice which is correct.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 6.2L w/187k miles. Your pressure sounds normal to me. I changed my o-ring 4+ yrs ago at 130k miles before it gave us any problem. If you want higher oil presure run 15w40 or 20w50.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 yukon xl denali. Non afm.
I currently have 89k miles. On a cold start with fresh oil and filter I have just under 60 psi I'd say around 55psi once everything is warmed up the pressure is under 20 psi around 10-15 psi. Cruising at lower speed it'll be just under 40 psi highway speed or accelerating it'll go over 40 psi. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do that can raise the warm idle psi?
Appreciate the help
'07 XL Denali here with 234K on the clock but have reason to believe the engine was replaced at around 160K. (2014 date codes stamped/etched/cast on everything on the engine). Same oil pressures I see every day with it. Send it!

thegrunter

Reaction score
Thanks to all the replies. I just got a '23 Tahoe and it's the first car I ever had with an oil pressure gauge and I had no idea how to read it. It's about 60 cold and drops to about 30 when warm and at an idle. I can see from other replies that 30 seems okay. I do know from NASCAR that if it's ever 0, stop the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24