Oil Pressure - What is Normal ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave01

Reaction score
Per my dash gauge I'm seeing (once warmed up) only 20 psi at idle, up to 30-35 in low speed driving, about 40 on the highway. Seems low to me, what do people usually see for oil pressure?

My 2010 has 55,000 miles and so far I don't see it burning any oil at all, but have only owned it for about 6,000 miles.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 08 6.2 and I see the same numbers as you. I run penszoil synthetic 5 30. Highway I can get put to 60 psi. Otherwise the same as yours.

OP
OP
D

Dave01

Reaction score
Last oil change was at the dealer, I'm pretty sure they use 5W30 conventional. I have the GM certified free oil changes so am having them done there.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the certified oil changes too and I have never used one. I think the oem new style of filter is crap. I have been using the mobile one filter. The corvette guys swear by them and there was some guy on their forums that ran tests and they proved top notch. I would consider changing the oil yourself. It's really easy just get one of those filter holder ratchet caps and you can change it whenever you want in 10 minutes. The penzoil oil I'm using you can get in walmart for 20 bucks when it's in sale for 5 quarts and it's really good oil from what I have read and experienced.

I find my oil dirty to me At 3k. Half of what the oil consumption clock would have changed it at.

OP
OP
D

Dave01

Reaction score
I change a lot of oil myself, not a problem with how-to! Add a Fumoto valve, like you say done in 10 minutes, no mess.

I guess I figured that using the dealer while still under warranty took away one piece of ammo from them if something fails. I'm changing at 3,000 miles, just as you are, and if they have a record of doing those changes at those miles I'd think they couldn't make any lack of maintenance arguments. Maybe i'm over-thinking it, not sure.

I agree on Mobil 1 filters, use them in my diesel Jeep Liberty and have read good reviews on them.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I noticed today at 35 mph. I am at about 50 psi. Normal street driving.

At 3000 miles I'm still around 50 percent oil life on the clock. My dealer wouldn't change it until it hits at least 20 percent they told me. Main reason why I haven't used any yet.

Last edited:

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When cold at take off I am around 50-60psi. I'm around 40 at idle. Once warmed up I am at 20psi at idle. I thought it was a little low too but sounds like it must be normal. It's still got the dealer's oil in it. From now on it will have Amsoil and WIX filters

OP
OP
D

Dave01

Reaction score
I'm going to ask the dealer next time I'm there (shortly) what they consider normal for oil pressure on 5.3's. Curious for their answer. If the guy says "don't worry unless the low pressure light comes on" I might have a little argument with him!

jayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to ask the dealer next time I'm there (shortly) what they consider normal for oil pressure on 5.3's. Curious for their answer. If the guy says "don't worry unless the low pressure light comes on" I might have a little argument with him!

that is what he will tell you in most cases.
here are some specs that i found from the research i did for my 6.2 liter
minimum op pressure @ 1000RPM - 6psi
Op pressure @ 2000Rpm 18psi
Op pressur @ 4000RPM - 24 psi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968