On vacation need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, haven't posted in awhile. I'm on vacation with the family, noticed the right rear wheel making a grinding noise. Oil is now seepin out through the center cap. Bad wheel hub? And can I drive with it. Thanks.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear axle seal? It's not brake fluid, is it?

No a common leak on these axle seals, but anything can fail over time and mileage. I would say keep driving, just be mindful that if the axle diff. is run dry, bad things would happen. Hopefully it's a small leak. You'd hear it if the gear oil is low too.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear axle seal? It's not brake fluid, is it?

No a common leak on these axle seals, but anything can fail over time and mileage. I would say keep driving, just be mindful that if the axle diff. is run dry, bad things would happen. Hopefully it's a small leak. You'd hear it if the gear oil is low too.
Thanks appreciate it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you are hearing it and seeing it, that leak is bad enough that you should get to a shop asap and have it checked and remove all doubt. If brakes are working correctly now, that does not mean they may still have a problem but that axle bearing could be the noise and causing the fluid leakage bad enough that you see it without removing the wheel.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are hearing it and seeing it, that leak is bad enough that you should get to a shop asap and have it checked and remove all doubt. If brakes are working correctly now, that does not mean they may still have a problem but that axle bearing could be the noise and causing the fluid leakage bad enough that you see it without removing the wheel.
Thanks, I'm going to call a local dealer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 hours is likely fine, axle bearing is not a emergency unless it starts really howling or something then it's just annoying more than anything. your braking distance may increase if grease has slopped onto the pads but that's about it. the grease just makes a mess that will have to be cleaned up after repair.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4 hours is likely fine, axle bearing is not a emergency unless it starts really howling or something then it's just annoying more than anything. your braking distance may increase if grease has slopped onto the pads but that's about it. the grease just makes a mess that will have to be cleaned up after repair.
Ok thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road