Optimal PSI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hofhenke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got some new tires and wheels for my 07 Tahoe. The tires are Hankook Ventus RH06 305/35/24. The shop put them at their Max PSI (50)....seems a bit high. Plus the TPMS is going off.

What would be the optimal PSI for these tires? Thanks a lot guys!

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
That's really high, I did a lot of research when I got my rims and you just have to go by the recommended PSI that's on the sticker in your door. I set mine to 33 psi running 295/35s.

White07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that seems too high. I keep mine at 38 PSI but I don't have a set up anything like yours. The TPMs keep going off because there prob were not properly reset.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably why my ride is Alittle rough on 305/45/22 I'm at 45psi

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 24"s, I'd imagine the wheel shop cranked up the PSI to protect your rims. More air will make for a rougher ride, but it also won't let the rubber flex enough to bend the rim in the event you hit a pot hole.

...But 44-45 PSI seems more reasonable. 50 just sounds too high.

The recommended amount for a stock 20" set up is probably too low, at least protection-wise, on a 24" set up.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tires (285/45/22) say 50psi max but I keep 'em at 45.

When I went for service at the dealer they dropped them to 34 thinking that I still had the stock 17s and they looked flat. These guys have no common sense, they only look at the specs on their little computer and didn't look at the wheels themselves to notice they were option wheels/ties and not stock. :whymewhyme:

I'm not sure how one would go about changing their onstar diagnostics to read the proper tire psi after the wheels have been upgraded. Right now it's still showing optimal 32 actual 45. It's still green but it would be nice to have that read correctly.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the load rating of the tire (P/LT-D,E), and use/load. If you have different rated tires, do not go by the pressure indicated on the door jam. I have Nitto Trail Grappler 285/65/18s, load E (all they have in this size), rated at max pressure of 80 psi.

I wanted to maxmize tread wear, so I did the chalk test and found that ~50 psi resulted in even contact patch. I have more sidewall depth than you guys so the ride was not harsh; just right IMO (truck like).

BTW, you can have the high pressure TPMS adjusted by someone with a Tech II device. Some dealerships will do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LAREDO TAHOE