Out of gas before fuel light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
So I am unsure if I have an issue but I feel as if I am way lower in fuel than what the gauge says. My fuel gauge is almost on E but the low fuel warning light hasn’t come on yet. It said I have 33 miles left and when I went to start the engine it cranked an extra time like it was out of gas but it did fire up. Is it possible issue with the fuel sending unit in the tank?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can find the resistance specs for the sending unit and check it with a DVOM to verify where your gauge should be.

The cluster gauge needle may or may not be in the right location if anyone has taken apart the cluster before, like to change stepper motors, reflow the solder, etc.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year is this? Consider adding make, model, engine, etc. to your signature so it's always there.

When the gauge is on E and you fill it ($$), how many gallons are you able to add to get it full? What does the gauge needle read after filling?

Both the gauge and the warning light are driven by the fuel module (pump), but the gauge needle / stepper motor may be inaccurate so they can be different. Carry a gas can with you in case it gets to the point of not starting so you can at least get to a station.

A good scanner will read the percentage of fuel left in the tank, but that does rely on what the fuel module is sending. You could compare the gauge "empty" with "full" percentage values on the scanner.

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
What year is this? Consider adding make, model, engine, etc. to your signature so it's always there.

When the gauge is on E and you fill it ($$), how many gallons are you able to add to get it full? What does the gauge needle read after filling?

Both the gauge and the warning light are driven by the fuel module (pump), but the gauge needle / stepper motor may be inaccurate so they can be different. Carry a gas can with you in case it gets to the point of not starting so you can at least get to a station.

A good scanner will read the percentage of fuel left in the tank, but that does rely on what the fuel module is sending. You could compare the gauge "empty" with "full" percentage values on the scanner.
It’s an 03 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3. Has a 26 gallon tank. I ran it about 15 miles under when it said low fuel under the distance left. It was taking an extra crank to start up last couple times. I filled it yesterday and it stoped at just over 23 gallons. The gauge need is a hair past the full mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian