Out of State Surcharge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cqmorrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in Ohio. Found a Yukon in New Jersey that had all but one of my items, they added $9,000 to sticker for ANYONE that wants it not just out of state.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in the auto industry for 25+ years, mostly at the dealer level, and now do consulting work for one of the largest automotive inventory management software companies in the market. The real problem is that there is more to the deal than gross profit. So many people are selling their trades online and people that travel to purchase will never return for service. Dealers are beginning to recognize that selling a vehicle at MSRP to a client from out of state with no trade that will never return for service is bad for future recurring revenue. They have to figure out a way to do more with less. Some dealers truly do want to continue to provide good service to their previous clients. That isn't easy to do with as much as half the available inventory as before. Others are trying to take advantage of people for extra profit.

I worked for a Lexus dealer way back when the SC430 redesign launched. We never charged over MSRP even though the wholesale/auction market was 20k higher. We did make people sign paperwork saying that we had the first right to buy the car back for a one year period to stop people from using them to profit. Looking back that probably wouldn't have held up but we were trying to take care of our local clients.

Just my $.02. I can understand how frustrating it can be.
At least when you had them sign the paper saying you had first right of refusal, it was upfront and the buyer was aware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pnut