Overhead console removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Anyone know how to take down the overhead console? I want to access the wiring but can’t seem to figure out if it’s just clips or there are hidden screws.

Thanks

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, mine is going in today for the third overhead console replacement due to airbag system failures. I'll try to watch them and see how they do it!

nofaz

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon Denali that I'd like to remove the overhead console from. Want to mount some ham radio equipment. Have tried pulling it out but no success. Pictures on eBay indicate that there are 2 snap type mounts but also 2 really big mount towards the front that might have screws in them. Anyone else removed one of this model?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic pry-tool at the front edge as shown - there's two notches on either side. One is right in line with the OnStar button I use the one on the opposite side because I don't want to accidently call On-Star... Stick the tool in the notch and turn it 90deg until you hear the push-clip release. You can then slide your tool toward the other side and get the other tab to release.

OHC1.jpg

Forward push-clips released:

OHC2.jpg

Two more push-clips are on the trim panel just aft of the dome lights. Pry with your trim tool as shown and drop down the panel.

OHC3.jpg

Backside of the trim panel for reference:

OHC4.jpg

Remove the T15 torx screws in the pockets towards the front of the OHC.

OHC5.jpg

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where it gets a little bit tricky. After those screws are removed the only thing holding it up is two more push-clips about in-line with the dome lights (see picture below). Those clips grab hard so you'll have to pull down with some extra effort. It helps to pull down the front of the OHC, then work your fingers around to the side and pull down next to one of the dome lights. Repeat for the opposite side.

OHC6.jpg

OHC is removed and this is the empty space you're left with in the headliner.

OHC7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian