Oxygen Sensors Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonBill

Reaction score
When is it time to change the Oxygen sensors ? Should they all be changed or just the ones on the manifolds? I have an 01 5.3 Yukon with 102K on the clock

OP
OP
Y

YukonBill

Reaction score
I was just looking for a little advise from someone that has little more experience

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no need to change out the oxygen sensors. The ecm will let you know if there is a problem with any one of them , when the check engine light lights up.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part there is no set time or mileage to replace o2 sensors. When they're dead, you'll get a code, but as they're failing you may not get a code or get a catalytic inefficiency code or something like that. For these old beasts it pays to get a code reader that can also read real time data (like an ELM327). Then you can see if the voltages are reading correctly on the sensors and replace as they start crapping out, before a code is thrown.

dmperfection

Reaction score
Now I'm no ASE master mechanic, but its my understanding that O2 sensors have been considered maintenance items for several years now. They do get old and sluggish and affect how quickly air/fuel changes occur. You won't get a code as they get old and catalytic converters are affected. At about 200k on my Tahoe, I dropped $2,300 on a new GM full catalytic converter replacement and was told that my old O2 sensors played a significant part in one of my cats failing. I live in CA and smog is no joke. If you price O2 sensors online, you can find all four for under $300. Cheap insurance.

OP
OP
Y

YukonBill

Reaction score
I live in Ca as well and have to go through regular smog checks. I was told the O2 sensors should be replaced at 100K or 10 years. At least the upstream sensors should be replaced.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Just replace them when you get to them. I've had bad o2 on mine for a few years. Will do them when I feel like putting my long tubes in

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the money to spare, and the time to replace them, than any time after 100k would be just fine. Most people on this site ( just seems this way by reading the threads) will wait until they get a code or start having problems before they do anything. I believe that is the wrong way to think. Preventive maintenance is a great thing, because peace of mind is priceless. There is nothing better than starting a 3k road trip knowing that most of your bases are covered. Also, fuel pumps should be replaced after 100k, again, why wait until it strands you hundreds of miles away from home? Hub bearings are good to 100k, but a bunch go out before that and some hang in there for much longer.....why wait? Tires, how many for you guys run them to the markers? how about until the belts show it spots? non of you will admit to it, but again why wait. Breaks are no different, why wait until they start to squeal, changed them early and save your rotors. preventive maintenance will save you money in the long run.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unnecessary

Good thing some people actually like to help others instead of laughing at them. Not sure if you have posted helpful remarks in the past, but honestly, your remark is disappointing. Please don't take the time to laugh and mock when one is trying to learn.
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus

Latest posts