P0442

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I pass inspection if I clear the code and take it in?

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Can I pass inspection if I clear the code and take it in?

Nope. If you clear the code, you will reset all of the readiness monitors so they wont be ready. That is an automatic fail.

Most of the time p0442 is caused by a loose gas cap. Check the gas cap and see if it is tight. Then remove it and check to see if the rubber gasket is intact on the cap.

Reset the code and drive it untill all the monitors are ready. You'll need a scan tool that displays the readiness states to verify that. Or you can just drive it for a week and then take it in.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. If you clear the code, you will reset all of the readiness monitors so they wont be ready. That is an automatic fail.

Most of the time p0442 is caused by a loose gas cap. Check the gas cap and see if it is tight. Then remove it and check to see if the rubber gasket is intact on the cap.

Reset the code and drive it untill all the monitors are ready. You'll need a scan tool that displays the readiness states to verify that. Or you can just drive it for a week and then take it in.

I replaced the gas cap a couple months ago and the code went away for a long time and now it came back 2x in the past week. The threads of the gas cap have black streaks, so I'm going to clean it, but doubt it's the cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968