Paint - Ceramic Coating - Question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a very bad idea. I cermic coated my c6 after tons of polishing. I don't believe cermic would stick to a roughed up paint at all, and it comes off pretty easily if it's not in a very well corrected surface. I cermic coated a polished smooth polycarbonate top and it didn't hold up at all in the sun. I'll have to repolish and install some ppf.

your best bet for a Matt finish would he matt ppf install. I've seen that done over white and it turns out very nice, plus protects the paint for 10 years. if you can wet sand and buff, you can't install ppf. Just watch some YouTube videos and buy some ext

forgive my ignorance... what is ppf??

edit: Nevermind, that was lazy of me lol.. Paint Protection Film! And it's available in Matte too! This has potential?!?!

Last edited:
OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Allegedly" the ceramic coatings that claim to be for a Flat Matte or Satin finish follow those rough surface contours?

If so, I would think that Ceramic Matte coatings share some similar properties with Gloss Clear Blenders. Which I cant begin to explain on scientific level. Just know that they use some type chemical which, on molecular level, melts the surface of the existing gloss clear, allows it to accept the new clear, and re-levels together as one smooth surface.

If Matte Ceramics coatings truly do this, then they would have to either absorb into the surface or be thin yet sticky enough to coat the peaks and valleys and stick to them long enough to harden? If that makes any sense??

Last edited:
OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine what it felt like to see your hood paint fly off like that, at least its a relatively easy panel to paint. Reminds me of the paint problems of the 80’s, if it didnt come off in chunks it just kinda dissolved on the horizontal surfaces.

You have a great looking rig, I like the plain white it looks cool without cooking you in the summertime. Whatever you wind up doing good luck!

Yeah, I just stopped and started at it for a good 20sec... Then went in close and blasted off all that would come off. It's currently got a piece of white vinyl wrap over it. Not sure how I'm gonna remedy yet? Thinking either: salvage yard hood swap? -or- Sand and paint? But white again? or paint hood and roof flat black to match all the plastic panels and bed covers on top surface of the back end??

A few years ago I filled in all the open cavities on the underside of the hood with closed cell foam and Raptor lined the entire bottom surface for sound and surface protection. Swapping out hoods would mean I'd have to do that over again, adding 5-6hrs to the 5-6hrs of going to get one and the ___(however many) hours to get it on straight

I think I'm leaning towards the flat black option? I put my 3mo of planning into motion yesterday by ordering long(er) travel control arms and several other parts that should increase off-road capabilities... (honestly, it should completely transform the truck but Im trying temper expectations)

Heres a pic I found months ago when trying to see how my Av might look with LT suspension. This guy went with a compete fiberglass front end swap(fenders and grill). This front end is technically designed for the Silverado but I don't know how anyone will ever notice that with all the other eye candy he's got goin on lol

Screenshot 2024-09-08 2.58.11 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Youkon_Guy