Painting the Grill Bow Tie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wan to paint my front grill bow tie black... and i have seen a couple guys that have done it clean and a couple have wrinkled and some have peeled.. what is the best process and paint???

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few threads on here if you want to search around for a more thorough process. but basically, sand it, clean it real good, adhesion promoter, couple coats of your color, couple coats of clear.

skyl3rm

Ahoy hoy
Reaction score
in the search box type "paint bowtie" and theres a thread about 5 down thats like 4-5 pages and it has some good step by step directions.

AJP

Reaction score
For my GMC logo I used Krylon fusion. It is supposed to bond with plastic so I didn't sand or prime, just cleaned it good and painted, then did a coat or two of clear. We shall see how it hold up but if it turns to crap I can always sand prime and paint.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did one of mine, from a thread i found on gmfs, i think. take bowtie off, heat up bowtie, (either w/ heat gun or hair dryer) heat it good, slowly try to peel it apart. Keep heat on it, it will break. Mine did, not hot enough. When apart, you will see the "gold" part clear on one side, use oven cleaner and spray on the gold side. Let sit for awhile, wipe off. Clean it good. If not, use O.C. again and get all gold off. It will show up. Then scuff it, i used green pad, just for paint to adhere to. Then paint it. When done, get 3m adhesive, or some good adhesive and spray on the other part of the emblem. Not the part you just painted. Then stick the two halves together. Clamp them if you like.

But this is what i did and works fine. B/c then you dont have to worry about the chipping thats on all bowties. Most reason paint comes off. But the only bad thing is if yours is already chipped, then its going to show up. But since your wanting black you might be alright, unless you want it perfect. Mine is flat black and looks good to me and mine is chipped a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52