Pictures of Michelin defender on 22 rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterman

Reaction score
Hello,

I need tires on my 15 Denali with 22 inch rims. The stock tires are ready to go at 56,000 miles and I am considering the defender tire. Does anyone have a pic of the tire on 22 rims?

Thank you

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I had Defenders on a set of transport wheels last winter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 4

BacDoc

Reaction score
Fixed it for ya! I can’t look at sideways pics bro

Anyway are those transport rims 22”? Also what exactly are transport rims and what are your “regular” rims?

My main question is what is max side wall size Defender we can put on stock 2020-2024 22” wheels? The OEM Allenzas are 275/50/R22.
Will a 275/60/R22 work with out rubbing?

I was originally going to replace my stock 22 to 20” and tires with more sidewall but not as motivated now. People bag on the Allenzas but I have been surprised by how well the 22” wheels and Allenzas ride but they are relatively new. I don’t go offroad and no snow or ice. My regular roads are good with minimal potholes. I have done some long all day driving road trips in hot sunny and hard rain thunderstorms and performance is good but these are the only tires I have had on my Tahoe.

Pros and cons to everything but if not going off road those 22” wheels are great cornering and beautiful highway ride. Maybe it’s the magnetic ride/air suspension but street performance is very good. I was thinking a higher side wall would make the ride even smoother but maybe get some roll going around corners. My former vehicle had 16” wheels and high side wall tires and it definitely had some body roll going around turns but it didn’t have magnetic ride or air suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 3

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say the Bridgestone Alenza tires on 22 inch wheels ride nice when new......but that doesn't last long. By the time they are near their end life, the ride is complete garbage. The lack of sidewall makes for a rough ride as well and will kill the front struts. (2017 Denali, 160k, 3rd set of struts on 22 inch wheels).

I'd personally go with an 18 or 20 inch wheel setup. I like the 22 inch wheel design, but ride is awful. It sounds like you live in a more temperate climate, so maybe keeping them will work OK in the long run. Anywhere there are potholes and crappy roads is a bad idea in my book.

Below is a link to a 20 inch wheel that mimics the 22 inch GM wheels. I'm considering these for mine since they will basically look the same, just more sidewall and cheaper tire replacement.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I always forget that I have my phone set to not rotate, so I have a lot of sideways pictures lol.

Yes the transports are 22s and steel construction. So my oem tires fit right onto them. My truck came with aluminum wheels and 285/42/22 continentals, which were loud and seemed to lack grip even with 6-8/32nds of tread still on them.

The Defenders have been lightyears ahead of those in grip and noise and excellent in rain and light snow. Haven't had any heavy snow fall in the mid Atlantic region since I've owned this truck, so I can't comment on that.

I've read lots of unhappy reviews about the comfort of the 22s but that has not been my experience. I had the psi up around 40-43psi at one point and that was slightly rougher. But as long as I've kept them right around 35psi, ride has been great for me. The transport wheels were heavier, therefore that smoothed the ride out even more. But when the temp went up in the spring, I switched back to the oem wheels to let the brakes breath.

I still have 2 continental tires on the stock set of wheels, but the other two, as well as the four on the transports, are all Defenders.

Fixed it for ya! I can’t look at sideways pics bro

Anyway are those transport rims 22”? Also what exactly are transport rims and what are your “regular” rims?

My main question is what is max side wall size Defender we can put on stock 2020-2024 22” wheels? The OEM Allenzas are 275/50/R22.
Will a 275/60/R22 work with out rubbing?

I was originally going to replace my stock 22 to 20” and tires with more sidewall but not as motivated now. People bag on the Allenzas but I have been surprised by how well the 22” wheels and Allenzas ride but they are relatively new. I don’t go offroad and no snow or ice. My regular roads are good with minimal potholes. I have done some long all day driving road trips in hot sunny and hard rain thunderstorms and performance is good but these are the only tires I have had on my Tahoe.

Pros and cons to everything but if not going off road those 22” wheels are great cornering and beautiful highway ride. Maybe it’s the magnetic ride/air suspension but street performance is very good. I was thinking a higher side wall would make the ride even smoother but maybe get some roll going around corners. My former vehicle had 16” wheels and high side wall tires and it definitely had some body roll going around turns but it didn’t have magnetic ride or air suspension.

Attachments

• 20240711_164735.jpg
    20240711_164735.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 3