Plastic Engine Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an issue removing the plastic cover on the top of the engine that says Vortec. The 8mm bolt that holds it down just spins and won’t come out. I did manage to get the cover off but had to tear apart the rubber bushing under the bolt. I’ve tried a couple different methods, but the bolt will not come out of the plastic pillar. I’ve seen a couple different threads on this, but can’t really seem to find an answer.

Is the plastic pillar it screws into replaceable?View attachment 431922
if it is stipped out then you need to apply upward pressure from under the bolt while using a high speed electric tool like a drill with a socket attached. then it should come right out
so maybe some large curved pliers with a socket under them so you can apply pressure while spinning it out.
unless that thing is totaly fubar I could have it out seconds
and if the metal insert is spinning as already mentioned then you need to apply both upward & downward pressure which could be done with the curved pliers and some kind of metal clip on the bottom of the pliers that fits around the bolt so when pressure is applied it holds the insert a little bit and gives you upward pressure at the same time.
I have taken worse things apart because I tend to strip bolts out, nothing is ever tight "enough" lol

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those engine covers being useless, why did GM include them? Seems like they could have saved a ton of money if they left them off.

I'm thinking they serve some purpose; could be sound dampening, could be heat dissipation so the hood paint doesn't die sooner. Of course I am just guessing.

Ultimately, we know GM is cheap, and would not spend the money if there weren't some reason.

BattleTank

Reaction score
With those engine covers being useless, why did GM include them? Seems like they could have saved a ton of money if they left them off.

I'm thinking they serve some purpose; could be sound dampening, could be heat dissipation so the hood paint doesn't die sooner. Of course I am just guessing.

Ultimately, we know GM is cheap, and would not spend the money if there weren't some reason.
Cosmetics sells. Nobody wants to see all the mess of wires/hoses/pipes etc under a hood.

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can hear the difference "sound deadening" from sitting inside the vehicle you've got some darn good hearing.

Fwiw ram quit putting their engine cover on a few years ago so I've read and seen.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the crew of “that’s what was on my engine before I touched it, so it needs to be put back together exactly as it was before I disassembled it” mindset. I managed to break the passenger side cover on the corner where the rear bolt goes through today when i went to put new spark plugs in…… and i over tightened the forward 10mm nut on the drivers side cover and cracked it….. now I gotta go junkyard hunting for those parts cuz it’ll annoy me that they’re broken and not right….. lol

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I
want to see it.
And I am nowhere near alone.
How do we really know you aren't sitting in your mother's basement, logging in here just to troll us?

(The same way you know I'm not sitting in my mother's basement logging in just to troll you, of course!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CABTahoe2015