Possible TCC Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So just got my 2016 5.3 tahoe with 130k on it. About 2 to 3 weeks ago I bought the AFM because I read on the horror it does to the transmission. I had no issues but I didn't like that I could feel the truck changing from 4 to 8. I put the AFM in and haven't had any issues..until today.

I was driving like normal and I felt the truck sluggish. Still shifts where and how it's supposed to but the rpm needle fluctuates up and down. Trans temp stayed at about 187 and got as high as 194 or something. I took AFM off and it got worse. I was getting on highway and it wouldn't shift and I heard a almost screeching noise. I pulled over checked oil and it's where is supposed to be but really dark there are no alarming smells. I put AFM back on and truck still shifts good but still sluggish didn't hear the screech anymore and was able to make it home slow. No CEL btw.

I am going to go cheapest and easiest route and give it a flush. Tomorrow. What kind of oil and perhaps additive should I add and what are your thoughts. I appreciate the help ahead of time.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just got my 2016 5.3 tahoe with 130k on it. About 2 to 3 weeks ago I bought the AFM because I read on the horror it does to the transmission. I had no issues but I didn't like that I could feel the truck changing from 4 to 8. I put the AFM in and haven't had any issues..until today.

I was driving like normal and I felt the truck sluggish. Still shifts where and how it's supposed to but the rpm needle fluctuates up and down. Trans temp stayed at about 187 and got as high as 194 or something. I took AFM off and it got worse. I was getting on highway and it wouldn't shift and I heard a almost screeching noise. I pulled over checked oil and it's where is supposed to be but really dark there are no alarming smells. I put AFM back on and truck still shifts good but still sluggish didn't hear the screech anymore and was able to make it home slow. No CEL btw.

I am going to go cheapest and easiest route and give it a flush. Tomorrow. What kind of oil and perhaps additive should I add and what are your thoughts. I appreciate the help ahead of time.
When you say AFM, do you mean an AFM disabler like the range device? AFM is the cylinder deactivation technology by General Motors itself.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you changing the engine oil or transmission fluid. Cheapest is probably Walmart. Look in the owners manual for the proper transmission fluid type and the oil viscosity.

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say AFM, do you mean an AFM disabler like the range device? AFM is the cylinder deactivation technology by General Motors itself.
Yes a cheap.on I got off Amazon. When I put it back on it shifted better, not fine but at least it shifted

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you changing the engine oil or transmission fluid. Cheapest is probably Walmart. Look in the owners manual for the proper transmission fluid type and the oil viscosity.
Transmission fuild and filter

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes a cheap.on I got off Amazon. When I put it back on it shifted better, not fine but at least it shifted
I use Valvoline MaxLife in mine and Some folks like to add LubeGuard additive but I’ve never found it necessary.

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I added a stick of lubguard and it heloed, i had planned on adding another once I change the fluid. How much quarts do yall usually add back? I am only doing the pan

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I added a stick of lubguard and it heloed, i had planned on adding another once I change the fluid. How much quarts do yall usually add back? I am only doing the pan
Drop the pan before you spend any money on fluid. If there's a whole bunch of fine, sand-like metal debris, burnt clutch material, etc put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.

Otherwise, here is the 6L80 fill procedure

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drop the pan before you spend any money on fluid. If there's a whole bunch of fine, sand-like metal debris, burnt clutch material, etc put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.

Otherwise, here is the 6L80

Otherwise, here is the 6L80 fill procedure
I sure hope not. I am in the military and our hmmwv have these transmission typically when they go out soon as I pull lipstick I can smell it but this one I can't, so hopefully it's not shot yet can I replace TCC with out replacing transmission? What's that cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanamade81