Possible TCC Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope not. I am in the military and our hmmwv have these transmission typically when they go out soon as I pull lipstick I can smell it but this one I can't, so hopefully it's not shot yet can I replace TCC with out replacing transmission? What's that cost?
Won't know until you drop the pan but if you've caught it early enough no transmission damage will have been sustained...If the transmission is otherwise healthy by all indications then you can replace the TC without digging into the transmission but I'd def drop the pan before doing anything or spending any $$$.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably 6 quarts. Luckily with a dipstick, you can start with 4 and move up. Or, just drain it into a container of known capacity and estimate what came out and use that as a baseline.

West 1

Reaction score
I think someone already stated how much crud can be inside the tranny oil pan. I would not do a flush on any used tranny. The flush process can mix up the junk in the pan and plug up the important valves in the Techm and cause it to fail. If you want new fluid do it old school, drop the pan, clean it well and install a new filter before finishing up.

There is a company in Florida that rebuilds the Techm, I had one rebuilt, they programmed it to match my Escalade exactly, plug and play for well under $500 delivered. I do have a scan tool that helps on the install but I am not sure it is necessary with their programming. If you are pulling your pan off most of the work is done to install a new Techm.

A trick for those doing this job on the 2007 and newer trucks. If doing this on jack stands to support the vehicle. Take a small trucker ratchet strap, you can attach it to the exhaust and ground it to the bottom of your jack stand. Tighten it up slightly and you will have clearance to get the pan off with the exhaust pulled down by the strap. I have done this 3 times now, saves a lot of time pulling the pan on a 6L80 trans. Without doing this the pan will almost come out but you will get stuck. Some instruct you to remove the exhaust pipe which takes a lot of time. The ratchet Strap trick works. I have one that is only 1.5" and it does the job.

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have never owned a chevy, but after 17 years in the military I was certain the last thing that would go bad on this truck was the transmission, I have brought some of these back from the dead with a good cleaning so I hope I can the the same to this one.

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1000062953.jpgwell results are in what yall thing? Time for a new tranmission? Can I just get a TCC or normal for 136k with never doing tranmission, feels alot better feel a very small.sputter still

West 1

Reaction score
At 135,000 miles that looks about perfect. Tranny clutches wear as you use the car and you end up with some stuff in the pan. Sorry, no experience with the TCC, I hope others chip in.

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am so worried about this dam transmission I hope it gets better but either my mind is messing with me or it hasn't gotten any better I feel like it shifts wierd between 2 and 3rd, not check engine light still

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so worried about this dam transmission I hope it gets better but either my mind is messing with me or it hasn't gotten any better I feel like it shifts wierd between 2 and 3rd, not check engine light still
Time to yank it out for overhaul. All that fine, ground up metal is everywhere inside the transmission as well as throughout the trans cooling system. Id replace the radiator and any external trans cooler currently installed.

Here's a recent example of a converter disintegrating internally (A904 from a 02 Jeep Wrangler). IMG_1641.jpegIMG_1638.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SawDustMaker