Possible TCC Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So guess it's safe to say at very least I'll need a torque converter, hopefully I dint need a whole new transmission I imagine labor for just dropping trans and inspecting it will he a pretty penny

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So guess it's safe to say at very least I'll need a torque converter, hopefully I dint need a whole new transmission I imagine labor for just dropping trans and inspecting it will he a pretty penny.
You will most certainly need a new transmission...No one is going to do any more inspection on that unit than you have already done by dropping the pan, at least not without completely overhauling it. So I'd pull it, throw it on the tear down bench and take it completely apart.

The unit will need a new TEHCM, possibly new valve body and new pump assembly in addition to the usual assortment of corrective parts and procedures. My guess is that it will actually be more cost effective to install an entirely new transmission from General Motors (3yr, 100k mile warranty) and comes ready to install, fill with fluid and go...No need to do any programming or fast adapt relearns - it's all done at the factory.

As mentioned in my other post, I'd strongly recommend you replace your radiator as it will take a month of Sunday's worth of flushing to get all that fine metal contaminant out of the system completely. Flush your lines as well. Torque converter failure like that is generally catastrophic in that it consumes numerous hard parts and requires replacement of the entire system, not just the transmission and converter.

Sorry if I am not being clear but it seems as though you're under the impression this is a relatively minor, easily repairable situation...More than likely, it's not (consider yourself extraordinarily lucky if you can avoid rebuilding or replacing the transmission).

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was afraid of that lol and you say radiator you mean like the cooking radiator for the engine?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that lol and you say radiator you mean like the cooking radiator for the engine?
The cooking radiator? What is that?

Im referring to the main radiator that houses the transmission's internal-to-the radiator heat exchange unit. That's most likely clogged with all that ground-up metal. Same with the external trans cooler on the front of the radiator, if your vehicle is so-equipped.

Also, please quote my post or mention me if you would like me to respond. I dont get alerts so would have no idea you posted again and want me to respond unless im quoted or mentioned...

OP
OP
M

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So 135k transmission was shot, had a dull rebuild done, cost 4k and guy said he put a new billet TC had like 4 or 5 other chevys in the shop so I was pretty confident, picked up the truck and he told me it would take a fea hundred miles for the transmission to adjust, makes sense kinda like a breakin procedure. Now been about 300 miles but I feel like I am still getting that shutter during 1st and 2nd gear. Or perhaps it's my mind messing with me. Transmission temp hasn't need above 165, fluid nice and red doesn't smell burnt, at WO throttle it feels fine it's just at take off. Is it normal.TC locking? I installed the AFM (cheap amazon one) and feels similar I will say other than 1st and 2nd without The range disabler I can hardly feel it going from v4 to v8..what are your thoughts. Am I being paranoid

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I being paranoid
Maybe, maybe not - plug in your bidirectional scan tool, bring up live transmission and torque converter data then take for a test drive. Excessive shift times, TCC slip speeds at higher duty cycle will confirm or deny.

Also, the symptom that I believe you're describing when you use the word "shutter" really torque converter "shudder". If you're using the word "shutter" folks may or may not understand what you're trying to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CustomCoffinWorks