Power programmer voids warranty ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c5corvette

Reaction score
I was just told that using any of the aftermarket power programmers (Hypertech, Diablo, etc.) will void the factory warranty because the PCM now stores the flash date they can see you have been screwing around with the computer.

How true is this?

All I really want to do is change tire size and change the allowable limits for the speed rated tires.

OP
OP
C

c5corvette

Reaction score
Crap. Anyone know where to find this in writing? I want to see how strong it is.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that no one mod can void the entire warranty. Any modification can potentially void those elements which are directly affected by said modification, and the dealer/manufacturer has to provide evidence that the modification caused the failure.

Having said that, engine tunes/reprogramming are probably the mods with the most potential for warranty denial as they can be argued to impact a great deal of parts.

I'm not an expert on this so I could be wrong, but this is the law as it has been explained to me many a time.

OP
OP
C

c5corvette

Reaction score
Thats great explaination, but where can I find this 'law' in print on a legal and binding GM document such as a buyers order, technical bulletin or my owners manual, etc?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dr Tahoe

Reaction score
Here is a clip from the Superchips FAQ.. I don't think it is legal to void the warrenty.. I always returned to stock, and they never seemed to say anything...

Superchips website:
Does installing a Superchips tuner void my factory warranty?

Answer:
No. It is illegal for a dealership to void your warranty based solely on the fact that you have installed an aftermarket product. The dealership must prove in a court of law that an aftermarket product has decisively caused the damage to the vehicle under warranty. As a precaution, always remove the tuning before going to a dealer for service.

For information regarding denial of warranty coverage, review the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

MiamiDave

Reaction score
The argument could be made if you mess with your transmission setting and your transmission malfunctions. They can deny your warranty claim for that item. Argue, debate, whatever.

Your vehicle will sit for months (or WAY more), until it is hashed out in some type of legal environment, which *may* require their lawyers and your lawyers, and some type of experts on both sides. If you win, you may still have to pay for your laywers/expert's time. If you lose? You *may* have to pay for theirs & yours, and still have a mashed transmission.

I have never done a Mag/Moss act in a courtroom, but I have had difficult dealerships and done the courtroom dance for unrelated lawsuits.

I believe the M/M act was designed to protect other companies producing similar parts and fluids, so dealership A couldn't say, well you didn't buy our oil, you used B's oil, and now we deny your engine claim.

I've been doing this 26+ years on 15+ forums, and never heard of anyone fighting this in a court battle (modding for performance and having dealer warranty denied). I know a lot of folks who were denied warranty for their performance mods though...YMMV, I would wait until the vehicle is out of warranty first. A lot of controllers actually make you "agree" that the mods you make are your responsibility if damage occur, or have other banner warnings.

YMMV, but I LOVED my Predator on my old Expedition-it solved shift slop, tire difference, woke up the engine on 87 octane, raised the limiter, etc. It was well out of dealer warranty though.

Good luck-

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap. Anyone know where to find this in writing? I want to see how strong it is.

You can go here and scroll about 1/3 the way down the page to see GM's message to their dealers and how the dealer must document that no programming modifications were made before doing repairs. http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2011/01/

I'm not saying its legal but as already stated, it would be a real hassle and possibly expensive to challenge GM. Most people advise putting a vehicle back to stock before going to a dealer. Some say the dealer can still tell if a PCM has been flashed if they dig hard enough and others say no.

I also would like a tune but don't want to take a chance. I also purchased a GM entended warranty so I don't want to risk that too.