Problems With New Engines And How It Is Handled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BacDoc

Reaction score
It seems like all the major truck manufacturers are having problems with the new technology and the new engine options for the latest models. I always was a fan of Toyota due to the reliability and durability of the venerable 5.7l V8 they used in the Tundra, Land Cruiser and Sequoia. Looking to buy a new truck for 2024 and being fortunate enough to have no price limits I was looking forward to getting a new Land Cruiser or Sequoia. Unfortunately they made the Land Cruiser smaller and 4 cylinder hybrid. Sequoia is also hybrid and 6 cylinder. Even the Lexus GX 550 is 6 cylinder but not hybrid. I almost went Sequoia but couldn’t get comfortable with smaller platform and 6 cylinder hybrid.

Anyway, looking like all the new trucks are having motor issues and they are handling the situation differently. Gotta say I wish GM would do what Toyota is doing regarding the failures. This source Im linking is a Toyota guy explaining his thoughts on the problem and how Toyota is doing “Recall” and how it works. He’s a great mechanic and if anyone has a similar GM source I would love to hear that.

GM is not doing “Recall” but a “customer satisfaction” service bulletin. They out sell Toyota and definitely have the financial resources to do better than Toyota so maybe they can resolve these issues and boost customer satisfaction. I’m not holding my breath but I think this guy has some great insight into the issues of new models and innovations from the mechanics view.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice, pick what you like and don't worry too much about it. In our case we went from our 2007 Sequoia to a 2022 Denali. We tried a 2021 Grand Cherokee L (too small), looked at the Wagoneer, Expedition, Sequoia, Tahoe, and just like the Yukon much, much more than any of them.

Yes, things happen and you hear a lot about it on this Forum, which is a good thing. So far our ride has been trouble free. It's under warranty for now so that helps lessen the stress factor. Like I said, pick what you like.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, of the GAS engines available for the 1/2 ton market, the 3.5 EcoBoost is probably the most reliable at this point. It took Ford a LONG time to get there though.

isp5190

Reaction score
My advice, pick what you like and don't worry too much about it. In our case we went from our 2007 Sequoia to a 2022 Denali. We tried a 2021 Grand Cherokee L (too small), looked at the Wagoneer, Expedition, Sequoia, Tahoe, and just like the Yukon much, much more than any of them.

Yes, things happen and you hear a lot about it on this Forum, which is a good thing. So far our ride has been trouble free. It's under warranty for now so that helps lessen the stress factor. Like I said, pick what you like.
Agreed with getting what you want. We had a 2009 Tahoe LTZ with 189,000 miles no major issues. Replaced it with a 2021 Escalade diesel, love it! We needed to stay with the full size GM suv due to fit to g your dog crates in it. Get what you want and that works for your need.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like all the major truck manufacturers are having problems with the new technology and the new engine options for the latest models. I always was a fan of Toyota due to the reliability and durability of the venerable 5.7l V8 they used in the Tundra, Land Cruiser and Sequoia. Looking to buy a new truck for 2024 and being fortunate enough to have no price limits I was looking forward to getting a new Land Cruiser or Sequoia. Unfortunately they made the Land Cruiser smaller and 4 cylinder hybrid. Sequoia is also hybrid and 6 cylinder. Even the Lexus GX 550 is 6 cylinder but not hybrid. I almost went Sequoia but couldn’t get comfortable with smaller platform and 6 cylinder hybrid.

Anyway, looking like all the new trucks are having motor issues and they are handling the situation differently. Gotta say I wish GM would do what Toyota is doing regarding the failures. This source Im linking is a Toyota guy explaining his thoughts on the problem and how Toyota is doing “Recall” and how it works. He’s a great mechanic and if anyone has a similar GM source I would love to hear that.

GM is not doing “Recall” but a “customer satisfaction” service bulletin. They out sell Toyota and definitely have the financial resources to do better than Toyota so maybe they can resolve these issues and boost customer satisfaction. I’m not holding my breath but I think this guy has some great insight into the issues of new models and innovations from the mechanics view.

If money is no object, I would try and locate a 2021 or 2022 Toyota Sequoia. Normally aspirated V8 engine. Good for at least 300,000 trouble free miles. The Sequoia design was ruined starting with the 2023 model because of the hybrid battery. Not only expensive to change, this massive battery uses up a lot of valuable cargo space.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were buying new and had "no" budget, I'd be going German. At least those feel like a $100k vehicle when you get in them and drive them. The Cayenne and Macan would be my first picks followed by the Mercedes GLS or GLE. I love the X5 and X7 but the interiors don't some to age well, I was in a 2020 X7 not long ago and EVERYTHING creaked worse than a 21 Yukon, drove great though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captainmal425

Latest posts