Projectors For 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bozchevelle

Reaction score
Does anyone make a good projector light that is ready to just install with your HID kit?

Just want to have the best output, along with not getting into anyone's space when driving down the road. I want to respect other drivers on the road.

i want to dress up my Tahoe to look really good.

Any thoughts from you here on this.

Thanks

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make a good projector light that is ready to just install with your HID kit?

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no such thing exists.

There are only 3 ways to use HIDS:

1. Slap a PnP hid kit into reflector housings and glare everywhere.
2. Use a PnP hid kit in either oem or aftermarket halogen projectors like the Depos and either have catastrophic light output as is the case with most 07+ aftermarket housings, or average results with some of the 00-06 aftermarket housings.
3. Do a proper retrofit which is complicated and expensive.

Only the 3rd option will give you the right HID projectors to use and it's the only solution combining projectors and bulbs designed to work together for optimal lighting.

Bozchevelle

Reaction score
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no such thing exists.

There are only 3 ways to use HIDS:

1. Slap a PnP hid kit into reflector housings and glare everywhere.
2. Use a PnP hid kit in either oem or aftermarket halogen projectors like the Depos and either have catastrophic light output as is the case with most 07+ aftermarket housings, or average results with some of the 00-06 aftermarket housings.
3. Do a proper retrofit which is complicated and expensive.

Only the 3rd option will give you the right HID projectors to use and it's the only solution combining projectors and bulbs designed to work together for optimal lighting.

Thank you

I like your 3rd option, what items should I buy and how do you put all of this together?

Is there step by step on how to build this, or do any of the members build them and sell them?

Again thank you

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark,

Here's DenaliAK's retrofit build: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6151

Don't go rushing to buy anything yet because there are many options for you to consider, including which projectors, oem or non oem, xenon or bi-xenon, which bulb base, which ballasts, what will fit in and behind your housings and what won't.

I recommend clicking on the HID Basics link in my sig and reading all the tutorials on hidplanet.com before you proceed. :)

Bozchevelle

Reaction score
Mark,

Here's DenaliAK's retrofit build: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6151

Don't go rushing to buy anything yet because there are many options for you to consider, including which projectors, oem or non oem, xenon or bi-xenon, which bulb base, which ballasts, what will fit in and behind your housings and what won't.

I recommend clicking on the HID Basics link in my sig and reading all the tutorials on hidplanet.com before you proceed. :)

I have done a lot of research and reading on here and still have a lot to do yet, I think the DEPO light as a base then the moto mini hi projectors. and then go from there as a start.

What do you think about that, again I have a 2003 Tahoe. Not a lot of headlights to choose from out there from what i have found.

Thank you very much for all your input that you always give!!!

I am open to anything you and the rest have to input here on this.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell the Depos are relatively easy to work with so it might be the right way to go as far as housings.

Let me ask you this because I don't know how your trucks lights are configured ... is the outer projector low beam only and the inner high beam only? If so, you have the option of having a low beam single xenon projector only to replace like for like. or you can go the bi-xenon route and have both the hid and the inner halogen on as highs.

The Mini H1 is a great value bi-xenon projector for those with either limited space, budget, or both. But there are better single and bi-xenon oem projectors out there if space and money allow.

Bozchevelle

Reaction score
From what I can tell the Depos are relatively easy to work with so it might be the right way to go as far as housings.

Let me ask you this because I don't know how your trucks lights are configured ... is the outer projector low beam only and the inner high beam only? If so, you have the option of having a low beam single xenon projector only to replace like for like. or you can go the bi-xenon route and have both the hid and the inner halogen on as highs.

The Mini H1 is a great value bi-xenon projector for those with either limited space, budget, or both. But there are better single and bi-xenon oem projectors out there if space and money allow.

I have a high beam light bulb and a low beam light bulb, both in different places. (Stock headlights)

I am only going to do my low beam one, I want to have a really good projector that fits in tights spaces, but don't want to spend a ton of money on this either, but then again i only want to have to do this once with no wiggle when using my lights.

Again I know am asking a lot, but i would like something that looks great and is going to hold up for a very long time.

Again thank you very much for the help

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best oem single xenon projectors I know of are the S2000, the LS460, and the RX. But the Lexus projectors are big, the LS460 is HUGE, and the S2000 (my favorite) is slightly smaller. The S2000 comes in two versions, the early AP1 and the later AP2 ... the AP1 is actually the preferred one and hard to find in mint condition. None of these are cheap. There's also the TSX-R low beam projector kit which I believe is the one DenaliAK uses, which is slightly less expensive ... although it is NOT oem hence the -R for replica.

Btw, you can always get a bi-xenon projector like the highly rated TL, and simply not connect the solenoid power and it will act like a single xenon low beam projector.

Any of the above projectors should be fitted with clear lenses and compatible shroud of your choice.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php has most of them and a helpful staff to answer questions, other more rare projectors come up regularly for sale on hidplanet.

Did I help or confuser thee further? :)

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Soulsea is doing a good job, so I won't interfere much. Just keep in mind that my truck is a Denali and thus uses the Denali headlights, which only fit in Yukons. They won't work in a Tahoe. That said, you can retro Tahoe lights, but you have to keep the projectors small. I think the mini H1's are probably your best option overall. S2000's would be awesome if you can find them and get them to fit, though. I just don't know how much room you have to work with in a Tahoe light.

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can give the Depo's a try first and see if you like them. If not then you can use the housing for a retro.