PSA: Check Those Torsion Bar Crossmember Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been chasing a popping sound coming from the driver’s side while turning in/out of parking spaces and while accelerating from a stop with the wheel turned. Replaced a bunch of suspension parts as part of a pre-planned overhaul project and was half hoping the issue would have been resolved with all of that maintenance. WRONG.

After dealing with the sound for another couple months I came across an old thread about the torsion bar crossmember bushings and went to check on mine. The passenger side looked okay for the age, but it’s safe to say that the driver’s side is shot. I’m willing to bet that this bushing is my source and that the noise is just being translated up to the front control arm through the torsion bar.

Once I get these replaced I’ll report back with an update but figured I would remind the forum that these bushings exist and to check them and potentially save some headache and frustration.

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 16

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 1997 Yukon (RIP), and changing the bushings solved the issue.

LasColinasLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know mine need to be replaced so here's a dumbass question. Do the old ones drive out front to rear or vice versa? I know Energy Suspension makes a replacement that's easy to press in, but the OEM ones didn't want to give up when I tried before. Direction and/or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
I recently did a complete suspension and steering renewal and didn't even notice these bushings. All noises and looseness are gone. I happened to be adjusting my torsion bars and found your post while looking for guidance. Just went out and checked my bushings. Like yours, the driver's side was worse than passenger side, but not as bad as yours. Pic below. 160K miles. I'll put them on my "do list". Thanks for the heads-up. Have you done yours yet?

Attachments

• DS Torsion Bushing.JPG
    DS Torsion Bushing.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBeastquogue