Q: Full repaint of roof... DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having sat in the Texas sun for 10 years now, and a bit neglected since its the dang roof, my truck's roof is extremely oxidized. I cringe every time I see it. I am worried though that it may spread to the edges, making it visible.

1. Would it be a reasonable project for myself, with 0 automotive painting experience, to strip, sand, repaint, and reclear it? Any alternatives?

2. How do y'all maintain your truck's roof? No way am I waxing it as frequently as I do the rest of the body.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Would it be a reasonable project for myself, with 0 automotive painting experience, to strip, sand, repaint, and reclear it? Any alternatives?

You can vinyl over it, but to acutally paint it I'd leave it to a professional. IF it's that bad it needs to be sanded/stripped or whatever so it doesn't eventually just come through the new paint.

2. How do y'all maintain your truck's roof? No way am I waxing it as frequently as I do the rest of the body.

Unfortunately, it's paint just like the rest of your vehicle and needs the same attention (wash/wax/etc)

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you wax the roof? I'm tall, but I can't reach the middle unless I get on top. Can the roof handle some weight? I guess if I straddled the rack...didn't think of that.

Will see about getting a pic sometime.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most detailers and others (including myself and a bunch of people on here) have this (or something just like it)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-3...-16-in-Aluminum-Work-Platform-AP-20/100662616

ap20-1.jpg

54Ford83.jpg

Warrior14

Reaction score

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roof as it sits. Suggestions?

If it was mine and I was keeping it for a while, repaint. If I was getting rid of it within a year, I might try to wet sand it and see how bad it is...

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine and I was keeping it for a while, repaint. If I was getting rid of it within a year, I might try to wet sand it and see how bad it is...

Guess I'll start looking into quotes.

Only preventative measure for this is just wax, correct? My guess is it started to happen when the truck shifted to me and thus the washing was by hand, not by car wash, and so the roof received less attention. If this roof can hold my weight (150) I'll happily get up there.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll start looking into quotes.

Only preventative measure for this is just wax, correct? My guess is it started to happen when the truck shifted to me and thus the washing was by hand, not by car wash, and so the roof received less attention. If this roof can hold my weight (150) I'll happily get up there.

I have (had, long story if youd don't know) a 12" lifted truck and can wax the roof and also wash and dry it everytime.

Buy a nice one of these. I haven't noticed any damage but I wouldn't use a hard brushed one.
315U-veMglL._SX300_.jpg

Use a ladder. I use a small step ladder I picked up on sale.
folding_step_ladders.jpg

Or buy a car that is not so hard to wash the roof. You are really making this a bigger deal than it is. Nathan is 5'2" and still washes his.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
58caddy