Q: Full repaint of roof... DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After sitting on this for a while (read: been at school) I went to a few shops. Got a couple verbal quotes of $1000 which included "modern paint" and lifetime warranties, and a written $600 that included "paint of the original quality" and a 5 year warranty. Going to one more place tomorrow, but I am still expecting around $1000.

I have a spot slowly growing on passenger door where the body curves inward toward the window, and two shops suggested getting that done, both quoting about $600 for it (half that panel then a quarter of the surrounding panels to blend). One shop went a step further and quoted about $2000 for everything above the molding except the hood, liftgate, and rear quarter panels.

So, I'm again left at the question of how much do I want to invest in cosmetics. Personally I feel like I might as well be walking around with a big hole in my shirt. I'm thinking of going for it on the $600, because even if it isn't beautifully perfect, it is just the roof, and it takes away the hideous blotches of white and gray visible at the sides now. I'd love to drop 2-3k on it for a much more full and higher quality paint job, but I just don't know if its that good of an investment.

Another option I've considered is $600-1000 for the roof, then $600 for the side with the nasty spot on the door. That leaves the rest of the truck perfectly fine (after a solid, professional detail which I plan to treat myself to either way). However, one of the shop guys was concerned about this, providing a rationale that I want to see what y'all think about.

He said that my problem will only continue to worsen, and that waxing, especially more often, will actually worsen it because "once its started, wax just kills the paint". He referenced a T-bird he bought with seemingly nice paint that he waxed twice before it started to oxidize like my roof after just 2 months. He's saying to not wax it, because wax will accelerate the process. Personally, I've never heard of this. Any input here?

My deal is, I'd hate to do the roof then just see the sides erupt in oxidation, as he said "he could see it" in multiple other spots. Alrighty. So I'd like to do the roof and bad side, but again, would be ticked if I did all that only for the opposite side to go. I don't want to be chasing wear n tear, I want to be ahead of it. At the same time, I hate to throw in the towel and just let it rot while I save up for a new truck.

Thoughts appreciated. Sorry to soap box, but just trying to convey my position most accurately.

Last edited:

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
using the roof rack, put one foot on top of the rear tire and pull yourself up, standing on the tire. i can reach the middle easy this way. for the front portion, just open the doors and stand there.

i'd at least try to clay bar the entire roof, then compound, polish and glaze/seal and wax it before repaint or anything. this worled wonders for my roof, looks good as new now and has sat in florida sun for 10 years neglected by previous owner. of course its white, not black though. if you want a polisher, i recommend the Porter Cable 7424 or any of the more expensive ones from Griots/Meguiars etc. The porter cable has worked wonders for me for years. Get the Lake Country or chemical brothers pads and the velcro backing pad. if you use a yellow cut pad and work your way up to orange then a no cut pad, you can do a lot for your paint, assuming its not REALLY bad to start with. MUCH better and eaiser than anything you'll ever do by hand compounding/polishing etc. and its much faster.

EDIT looking through your pics again, that roof looks pretty bad, you aren't gonna polish it out lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am committed to the $600 for the roof at this point. I'm hoping I don't have the truck in 5 years anyway.

That said, the debate extends to whether or not I also get the side done. The good side is fine, I have no idea what he is talking about and have no interest in spending money on something that only one guy is saying. The bad side however does have a nasty spot that needs removing, but that'll involve multiple panels... apparently.

20150515_125658_zpselqpbo5p.jpg

Sorry for the rain :p Anyway, I rub my finger against it and it feels like high grit sand paper, very fine. Anyone think that a professional detailer could compound the hell out of this and avoid a re-paint?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan